Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49XF8096 - iPlayer error 02056

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

KD-49XF8096 - iPlayer error 02056

Hi guys, 

As above. We've been unable to view anything on iPlayer, we just get greeted with the unable to play error code 02056 when making a selection.

Restarting the TV hasn't helped. 

Any other things to try? The TV is fine apart from this, Plex, Netflix and Disney+ all work etc.

Thanks! 

27 REPLIES 27
profile.country.GB.title
MalteseFalcon
Explorer

I have the same problem, tried everything including soft and factory resets.  Did you get a solution please?

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

Nope, unfortunately not... currently using iPlayer through our Sony Blu-ray/Firestick.

It has to be a software bug, surely. I never had this issue before the current update 🤔 

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

Maybe, you can try the steps here

And, have you tried to clear cache and data for YouView and test again?

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

Thanks! I've not tried YouView at all to be honest, we've always used the native app - I think it's part of Sony Select. Was fine until the last update as far as we can recall... will try your suggestions later!

profile.country.GB.title
MalteseFalcon
Explorer

Thanks.  I have tried all of these things - these came from Sony so I am sharing them.  None of them have worked for me sadly.  I will now try and send them the answers to the detailed questions.  It's very annoying.  I only bought this TV because the old one stopped supporting iPlayer (ridiculous).  Having only ever bought Sony TVs my whole life, I'm afraid I will never buy another Sony TV again.

Please let the group know if any of the below work for the same problem.  Thanks

Thank you for contacting Sony support.
We are sorry to learn that you are unable to access BBC iPlayer on your Sony KD-49XG9005.

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In attempt to resolve the issue, kindly find the troubleshooting steps below:

1- Disconnect any external devices connected to the TV.

2- Unplug the main power cord of the TV, and plug it back after 60 seconds.

3- Check if your TV has the latest software version: PKG6.7210 (Help—Status and Diagnostics—System Information):

4- Clear the Cached data from the TV following the below steps:
Home—Settings—Device Preferences—Storage—Internal shared storage—Cached data—Clear Cached data.

5- Clear Cached data from YouView and YouView Service Host following the below steps:
* Home—Settings—Apps - Youview - Clear data—Clear Cache—Force stop.
* Home—Settings - Apps - Yv service host—Clear data—Clear Cache.

6- Do a Soft reset to the TV:
Home, and then press and hold the Power on/off button on the remote control for 5 seconds.

7- After the TV is on again, press Home—Settings—Watching TV—Channel Setup—Live TV and Catchup—Enable Youview.
After that, just follow the on-screen instructions and retune. Press Home after that and to test the catchup applications.

8- Perform factory reset 

9- Connect the TV to your personal hot-spot following the below:
(Press the HOME button, then select Settings — Network & Internet—then choose the name of your smart-phone and enter the password).

10- If you are connecting to Wi-Fi, try wired LAN.

If the above does not help to rectify the issue, we are seeking your kind patience to provide us the below information, so we can investigate the issue further:

1-What is the device ID?
— This should be available inside system information section.
— Press Home, then help.
— Then, select system information.
— Scroll down till you reach Device ID.
2-What is the current firmware installed on the device. Please write the exact version:
Home—Help and you will see the software version at the top right of your screen.
3-What is the MAC Address?
— Press Home, then select Help.
— Go to view network status.
4- When did the issue start?
5- What is your Post Code?
6- What is the internal device IP Address?
— Press Home, then select Help.
— Go to view network status.
7- What is the public IP address by visiting www.whatismyip.com?
8- What is the internet Service Provider Name?
9- What is the actual internet speed using www.speedtest.net?
10- What is the network environment: i.e. FTTH, Broadband?
— You may refer back to the internet service provider for further assistance.
11- Are you using VPN / Proxy / Anonymizer / TOR service to access the internet?
— You may refer back to the internet service provider for further assistance.
12- What is the brand and model of the router?
13- What are the results of connecting your TV with your personal hotspot?
14- Does the issue occur with other pre-installed applications?
15-How is your TV connected to the internet? Wired or Wireless?
16-If your TV is connected wireless, is it possible to connect your TV using a wired connection and to reply with the outcome.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.
Thank you for your enquiry,
Sincerely,

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

Nope, nothing seems to work through the TV... in other news, ITV and Channel 4 players are fine.

Currently having to view iPlayer through our Bluray. 

Piscie
Community Team

@slipd83, do you have a digital aerial connected to your TV? and are you getting this error msg whenever you open BBC iPlayer or intermittently? 

profile.country.GB.title
slipd83
Explorer

Hey! No, I'll have to have a check but as far as I recall, there are no aerials. I think we removed the "analogue" coaxial when then turned the transmitters off in the UK.

Why, do you think that would make a difference? 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@slipd83 

The aerial arrangements in the UK did not change, physically, when we went digital; same old transmitters, same old signals sent out on same old channels numbered 21-69, same old roof aerials (‘digital’ aerials are a myth*), same old coax, same old connection to TV set.

The only thing that changed was that the signal sent on one of those channels 21-69 was now a multiplexed signal, that carried several of the 1-299 Freeview channels, digitally. So TVs had to change to understand how to unpack these digital systems, and the broadcaster had to change to be able to encode them in the first place.

But as far as the signal going up the transmitter aerial and out, and down your home aerial to the aerial connection on your TV set - absolutely no change at all. Digital terrestrial TV is alive and well, and it’s perfectly reasonable to ask if you are using it or not.

*While ‘digital aerials’ are a myth, it is certainly the case that when we went digital, a lot of people had to change their aerials. Why? Because they were old and inefficient, or they didn’t cover the band of channels now in use in that area, and similar reasons. But the new aerials that people got were the same sort of aerials that would have been most suitable for those bands in the old analogue days. Aerial installers talk wide-band and narrow-band, and Yagi, and number of reflectors and so on; but they don’t talk ‘digital’ and ‘analogue’. Not the good ones, anyway.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey slipd83, it might be worth trying a hotspot from your phone, if that worked, then it might be some sort of restriction from your internet service provider.