Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49XF8096 TV stopped turning back on over night

AngelUser
New

KD-49XF8096 TV stopped turning back on over night

After 5 months of usage I suddenly found that that the TV wouldn’t turn on after it was off for several hours  ( typically overnight). I found that if i turned off the power at the wall or unplugged completely and then switched back on it would start. I checked the power point and had no issues with anything else plugged in at the wall. I tried resetting the TV but still had the same issue.  A friend suggested I disconnect the Ethernet cable to the TV and only use WiFi (he installs audio equipment for a living). Ive tried this and it worked, I haven’t had the issue since (so far 2 weeks).

Anyone have any ideas what this issue is and should I be worried about it coming back? Makes no sense to me that it has something to do with the Ethernet cable so wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone knows about this. Thanks

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi Angeluser, 

Welcome to the community. 

I'm not sure but I'm just going to try to find some answers for you. In the meantime, maybe someone else in the community might have some ideas. 

Thanks,

Pascale

profile.country.GB.title
khallergard

Since a few days ago I got this exact problem, except I use WiFi only.

Last Wednesday I usb-upgraded to v6.6510 and on Saurday I finally solved my soundbar issue by swapping HDMI cables. Think it was on Sunday or Monday morning the TV would not start, and I had to pull the mains plug.  Same yesterday morning and then again in the afternoon, and now this morning again.

Will disconnect the soundbar and theHDMI cables I swapped for a week and report back.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @AngelUser & @khallergard,

The main reason for the issue you are mentioning is a system hang during the time the TV remains in standby. 

System hangs could have various reasons. But mainly it has to do with the apps you install on the TV.  Certain apps are known to cause issues. So start by taking a look at the list and uninstall the most recent apps you have installed. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
khallergard

Thanks Dutchie!

Don't remember having installed any new apps recently, but they might have been autoupdated.  You don't possibly have list of apps known to have issues?

Cheers

khallergard

profile.country.GB.title
khallergard

Happened again this morning.  Will connect the soundbar again and go for Dutchie's suggestion.  Start by removing all side-loaded apps - and assuming that solves the problem - and then side-load them back (newer versions) a few per day. 

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @khallergard,

Correct. You can start by uninstalling half of them then wait for a few days and decide whether the culprit app is on the remaining half or not. Eventually you will find it.

Please also note that externally connected USB hard drives which require a power supply are also known to cause a hang when they are mounted as internal storage for Android TV. Generally fast USB 3.0 sticks are a much better choice for this purpose. 

The recommendation is to use USB hard disks only as recording storage space. So I f you plan to install apps, the recommendation for avoiding system hangs is to use the built-in storage space of your TV.

Finally remember to avoid installing any type of VPN apps - these are known to cause system hangs - and also avoid installing any app which was not designed for Android TV specifically. The Android TV operating system has significantly different resources and architecture compared to that of Android phones. 

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
khallergard

Hi @dutchice,

No, am not having an external USB drive connected, nor am using any VPN type app.

This morning I uninstalled all 15 apps which the HAL Launcher terms as being "for Handheld" (all of them had been side-loaded).

After lunch the TV would not start again - so I had to pull the plug.  Uninstalled another 17 apps "for TV and Handheld".

Cheers,

khallergard

profile.country.GB.title
khallergard

Started OK this morning!  Will see if it continues ok for a couple of days before attempting to add some apps back.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Cheers,
Dutchice