Join now - be part of our community!

KD-49XF8096 TV stopped turning back on over night

AngelUser
New

KD-49XF8096 TV stopped turning back on over night

After 5 months of usage I suddenly found that that the TV wouldn’t turn on after it was off for several hours  ( typically overnight). I found that if i turned off the power at the wall or unplugged completely and then switched back on it would start. I checked the power point and had no issues with anything else plugged in at the wall. I tried resetting the TV but still had the same issue.  A friend suggested I disconnect the Ethernet cable to the TV and only use WiFi (he installs audio equipment for a living). Ive tried this and it worked, I haven’t had the issue since (so far 2 weeks).

Anyone have any ideas what this issue is and should I be worried about it coming back? Makes no sense to me that it has something to do with the Ethernet cable so wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone knows about this. Thanks

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
khallergard

@dutchice  No, removing apps did not resolve the issue!  Was thinking of doing a factory reset.  Then remembered your comment about external USB drive (which I do not have).   I have been using a Logitech RF mouse for some sideloaded apps and have had the RF receiver attached for a year without problems. Removed it and there was no issue, put it back and the issue returned.  Have repeted this several times and am now sure that the solution is to remove the RF dongle before switching the TV off.  Have added back most of the apps including some of the sideloaded ones without issue. (Did have the RF dongle attached when doing the upgrade to Oreo - and the issue started very soon after this upgrade)

@AngelUser  Have you resolved the problem?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @khallergard,

Very good investigative work! I knew about apps crashing the system in the return from standby sequence, which causes the TV not turning on from that point onwards, but I didn't expect RF dongles to trigger the same behaviour. There have been some optimisations done in the Oreo 8.0 January update to improve behaviour of externally connected devices when TV is in standby. So your experience with the RF dongle can be very well  be related to that. There will be possible follow-up refinements to the original improvement in an upcoming update very soon. So keep an eye to see if that will solve it. For the time being I presume you are better off using your the Video & TV SideView app by Sony as a remote trackpad for your TV. Or even perhaps a bluetooth enabled mouse.

So thanks for taking time and investigating it through. It helps many other community members in situations just like yourself.

Keep us updated as usual!

Cheers,

Dutchice

PS: If possible post please also the brand and model of your RF dongle and mouse set.

profile.country.GB.title
khallergard

Thanks @dutchice   Am using Logitech M235.   Do use the SideView app https://youtu.be/LDnKJXFczIg but like the mouse complement for sideloaded browsers such as Chrome and Firefox