Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55A1 - Dolby Atmos with Netflix?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jonnyaikido
New

KD-55A1 - Dolby Atmos with Netflix?

I have a KD-55A1 connected via a 2.1 HDMI (ARC) cable to STR 1080DN amp with connected 5.1.2 atmos speakers.  How can I get the Netflix app on my TV to stream Dolby Atmos audio to the AV amp?

Thanks!

61 REPLIES 61
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I successfully used AirPods with an XF90... but we are getting off-topic here..

profile.country.PT.title
pmnmalo
Explorer

My dilema is: Samsung just released two great soundbars with Atmos support - HW-N950 and HW-N850. I would like to buy a HW-N950 but if with the A1 setup cannot get Atmos to play (e.g. in Netflix) it's a waste of money 😞

It would be great if someone would create a service matrix of compatibility of SmartTVs / soundbars with Netflix. Netflix might be the right supporter for this or else maybe also avforums. Anyway, it would help us all to be sure to be supported before we buy something.

profile.country.AU.title
Mushroom079
New

Agree. 

I too have a Sony A1e 65”

firstly - no Atmos in the Netflix App. 

I’d been thinking it’s the Amp (Pioneer VSX-1132). So imagine my frustration when I read the App doesn’t support Atmos! Are you kidding me!?

I also have a Bravia 2015 4K 

The app also doesn’t support Atmos - only 5.1.

I purchased a Sony HT-Z9RF sound bar for this TV!

Really not impressed.

Going back to the A1e

is anyone using Apple TV on the A1e for both Atmos and Dolby Vision? 

I can’t seem to get “both” to work. 

profile.country.AU.title
Mushroom079
New

8468FE46-77EF-4661-BC69-D2A2CE7AEA3C.png

It seems only 2018 models are currently supported. 

Ive messages via the Sony Australia FB for comment - they refer me to call tech support. 

Not everyone has the time to hash this out with customer service admin with no idea. 

It’d be so much easier to get some official answers and plans.

at the end of the day - 

the Sony A1e was a flagship model. It’s possible to have the Netflix calibrated mode on a software update - as they are effectively the same panel and processor. 

Bit of a cop out really Sony! 

profile.country.GB.title
passy_
Explorer

Given that the A1 is still selling and there's no technical reason not to support Dolby Atmos, I'm pretty disappointed that there isn't even a hint from Sony whether this is something that's being worked on.

My fear is that this won't happen as Sony would have to retroactively pay license fees to Dolby.

profile.country.AU.title
Mushroom079
New

Truth be told - 

In addition, theres no reason the A1e couldn’t have the Netflix Calibration mode - if we’re being honest!

Its the same panel, processing chip, software. 

🤦🏻‍♂️💅🏻

profile.country.GB.title
hikotam
Explorer

Guys 

I recently bought AF9 55 inch master series oled which has almost all codecs of dolby, however streaming apps on sony wouldn't support dolby atmos at all. I hooked up yamaha ysp 5600 with Rel subwoofer. TV itself is brilliant to watch any 4k and dolby vision, but the apps are not completely passing correct codecs and the documentation and help is very minimal for layman. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Dolby Atmos cannot be passed through arc without having eArc that is implemented only on the newer AG9... have you tried using only the internal speaker (even if the result is probably worst than passing DD to the AVR...)

profile.country.GB.title
hikotam
Explorer

Hello there

yes, I have this TV
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/af9-series/specifications
Which has HDMI eARC support, however netflix for example doesn't show Dolby
Atmos on the movie title for Mowgli, but it shows on my friends Apple TV 4k
with Samsung N950 soundbar.

So I was basically sold a piece of kit with dolby atmos support but not
able to use it by Richer sounds.

I will give a shot with internal speakers later on
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You are right, also AF9 has eARC via an highspeed HDMI cable suggested. It could be one of two reason (IMHO):

• a problem with the HDMI cable
  •  a problem with the app that is not updated to recognize that this specific model does indeed support Dolby Atmos

Using the internal speaker you can assess both, than if it is a problem with the app it could b ebetter if you get in touch with netflis support. If your system is able indeed to passthrough Dolby Atmos you may try another source as well (a test dolby atmos file via the Video stock app or a UHD BD player passing the audio not directly to the AVR (which should of course work) but via the TV