Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55A1 - Dolby Atmos with Netflix?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jonnyaikido
New

KD-55A1 - Dolby Atmos with Netflix?

I have a KD-55A1 connected via a 2.1 HDMI (ARC) cable to STR 1080DN amp with connected 5.1.2 atmos speakers.  How can I get the Netflix app on my TV to stream Dolby Atmos audio to the AV amp?

Thanks!

61 REPLIES 61
profile.country.GB.title
pedromalo

Thanks for your comments. From what I understand we should not expect that KD-55A1 to have Dolby Atmos (also because of the licensing agreement with Dolby) and it is to wait for newer models.

The solution I'm picturing (for using the KD-55A1 and having Dolby Atmos on Netflix is to have an Doubly Atmos soundbar, wait for Netflix to support Apple TV, buy Apple TV 4K and use the Netflix App from the Apple TV streaming directing to the soundbar and connecting the soundbar to the KD-55A1.

This not to have to buy and XBox or an Windows 10 machine :wink:

Keefy78
Explorer

it actually says sony tvs 2018 onwards do, which is very disappointing as i have the ZD9 which was a very expensive tv.

profile.country.PT.title
pmnmalo
Explorer

Looks like Netflix added support for Atmos on Sony BRAVIA just recently (for 2018+ models). When I posted back in June the support of Sony was not avaliable - only for LG OLED 2017+ models.

Now, the AF9 and ZF9 models (the new 2018 models) do not have the specs detailed yet (see https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/af9-series, https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televi...) but it seems that there is no native Dolby Atmos (meaning no Atmos speakers embedded in the appliance) as one needs to ZF9 Sound Bar for "immersive surround sound". This, unlike the LG OLED (e.g. E8 models) that does have Atmos speakers embedded (see for instance https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-OLED65E8PLA).

So, in order for you to experience Dolby Atmos is a Sony BRAVIA you always need to have a Dolby Atmos soundbar as only then will Netflix be able to detect an Atmos output avaliable. So my question is: if we connect a Dolby Atmos soundbar will Netflix be able to acknowledge its existence (as Dolby Atmos) connected via the Sony BRAVIA HDMI-ARC port in a 2017 model? I think no - it would need an update to the software (maybe hardware too?) of the Sony BRAVIA 2017 models.. maybe Sony could do it or simply can say tell us that the hardware embedded in the 2017 TVs does not make it possible..

PS: Just like you Keefy78, I own a A1 OLED which is a very expensive SmartTV and it would be just super that Atmos would be supported.

profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

i have just got a kd65-xf9005 and i get dolby atmos on netflix my sound and picture goes thru h d mi 3 arc to my anthem mrx 720 rec and i have a 7.1.2 speaker system

profile.country.DE.title
tbenjelloun
Explorer

really ? So it should also work on a Sony XE9305 ? 

greetings Tarik

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

According to the Netflix Help Center, this is only supposed to work with BRAVIA 2018 models. Must be an artificial restriction then though as hardware should be the same for A1, XE93 and XF90/AF8.

profile.country.DE.title
tbenjelloun
Explorer

pffff..what a hard and long way we need to go until we get Dolby Atmos 😞

profile.country.GB.title
yashwantastha
Explorer

Are you getting Atmos on Netflix?

profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

i get dolby atmos with netflix on my kd65-xf9005 if you go to the netflix site it will tell you what tvs support dolby atmos
profile.country.GB.title
yashwantastha
Explorer

I am bit disappointed now, I have the same TV but it only shows Dolby Vision and not Atmos. Top on that I have also bought an Atmos soundbar from Samsung and it still shows 5.1 in Netflix.,