Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55A1 - Dolby Atmos with Netflix?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jonnyaikido
New

KD-55A1 - Dolby Atmos with Netflix?

I have a KD-55A1 connected via a 2.1 HDMI (ARC) cable to STR 1080DN amp with connected 5.1.2 atmos speakers.  How can I get the Netflix app on my TV to stream Dolby Atmos audio to the AV amp?

Thanks!

61 REPLIES 61
profile.country.GB.title
yashwantastha
Explorer

@stewartgordon4 wrote:

i see the dolby vision and dolby atmos on all the programs that netflix stream in dolby atmos like jessica jones lost in space the punisher

Please help me as, I am not able to see that, I have KD-55X9005 TV and Samsung HW-K950 (Atmos supported) it's also in the list of Dolby Atmos.

Still when I open the netflix all I see is Vision and 5.1

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

You probably need to upgrade your plan to UltraHD and then also set ‘streaming quality’ to High.
profile.country.GB.title
yashwantastha
Explorer

@dutchice wrote:
You probably need to upgrade your plan to UltraHD and then also set ‘streaming quality’ to High.

If I wouldn't have updated my plan, then I would not be able to stream in Dolby Vision.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

@yashwantastha wrote:

@stewartgordon4 wrote:

i see the dolby vision and dolby atmos on all the programs that netflix stream in dolby atmos like jessica jones lost in space the punisher

Please help me as, I am not able to see that, I have KD-55X9005 TV and Samsung HW-K950 (Atmos supported) it's also in the list of Dolby Atmos.

Still when I open the netflix all I see is Vision and 5.1

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

On Netflix Help Center, there are two prerequisites being reffered:

• A Dolby Atmos-capable audio system.

• A Netflix-capable device with Dolby Atmos support

Could this 2nd prerequisite mean that there should be something else also needed other than a capable UHD plan? Something TV-wise? I think yes and this is the difference between an XF9005 and an XE9005.

I think that pmnmalo has already mentioned it in his post on page 2.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Could this 2nd prerequisite mean that there should be something else also needed other than a capable UHD plan? Something TV-wise? I think yes and this is the difference between an XF9005 and an XE9005.

I think that the restriction on pre-2018 models is artificial. They are all based on the same SoC.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

I agree, it might be a software issue and not a hardware one, that will be extinct with a future update by Sony (lol).

The thing is that there is a difference.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

The thing is that there is a difference.

Yes, a software lock on older models to sell the new products... just like with Bluetooth headset support (A2DP) where a workaround has been found though.

profile.country.GB.title
pedromalo

Yes, the Bluetooth issue is another nightmare with Sony SmartTVs - I cannot use the Apple Airpods with the Sony SmartTVs and this really annoys me. Sony might think that this would make my buy Sony bluetooth wireless earphones but what will happen is that I will not buy Sony SmartTV anymore in the future. In a world of informed and empowered consumers Sony should really consider what they are doing..

PS: About the workaround, I've tried to access the service menu but, in the case of the KD-55A1, I do not see the option to activate the bluetooth like it looks to exist in some other Sony models.

profile.country.GR.title
zer0ner0

@pedromalo wrote:

PS: About the workaround, I've tried to access the service menu but, in the case of the KD-55A1, I do not see the option to activate the bluetooth like it looks to exist in some other Sony models.

Have you tried the procedure described here?

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Kd55a1 supports natively the a2dp profile. No need to install anything. Regarding compatibility with Apple appliances I would think it is probably an apple problem.