Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55AF8 sound issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Synthplayer1
Explorer

KD-55AF8 sound issue.

O.K. This is a wierd one! Even the excellent Sony helpline hadn't got an answer-

I have a Sky+ box connected to an input HDMI of the TV (tried all of them). The picture is fine but there is no sound.

I've tried different cables. All are working.

I've tried connecting to another TV. The sound is coming through fine.

Every unit in the system works with other TVs (leaving me to belive that there is a strange anomally with the KD-55s HDMI inputs)

I've been through all the menus on the KD-55 TV and sound is selected correctly. Sony tried this too and all is correct as far as they're concerned.

Now here's the wierd thing-

If I connect the scart output of the Sky box to an older model Sony HD/DVD recorder and then take the HDMI output from that to the KD-55 TV - The sound comes through! The problem with this is that the picture is then a lower grade due to the scart in the system.

Can anyone help?.. Please?.. It seems that Sony have not come across this before and cannot help (yet).

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

Have you updated to the latest firmware across all the products in question?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
Synthplayer1
Explorer

Thanks for the contact. No. I have not kept the Sky box up to date. I've been wondering if we should change to their newer system to get more from the TV. My next job is to contact them on the matter. Meanwhile I know that there is an audio signal through the HDMI out. I'm also wondering about cable standards.

profile.country.GB.title
mshenderson
Explorer

Hi, I had the same problem with a Toshiba DVD Recorder. I had to use a audio lead to connect from the Audio Output ports of the DVd to the analogue input on my Soundbar.

profile.country.GB.title
Synthplayer1
Explorer

The Sky+ box is updated through the dish. The TV is latest updates. Thanks for your reply.

profile.country.GB.title
Synthplayer1
Explorer

It would seem that softare is too fussy and will not handshake sometimes. I thought HDMI was supposed to be backwards compatible?! Thanks for your reply.