Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55X8505C - Is Netflix's 4K *real*

profile.country.IT.title
stef_mir
Explorer

KD-55X8505C - Is Netflix's 4K *real*

Hi everyone,

I am a owner of a KD-55X8505C and I was wandering... When I check out video in 4K in Netflix, are they really in 4K? I mean - they look "dotty" and not really sharp and clean... I was maybe thinking that my TV does not support 4K from Adroid Apps but only from external sources... Is this the case or am I just being paranoic?

thanks

Stefano

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am assuming you have the 4K package from Netflix? 

Whilst playing 4K content from Netflix on your TV, press the i+ button on the remote control.  Do you notice the resolution moving upwards up to 2160p ??

By the way, I play Netflix 4K (and HDR) content just fine.  If the picture quality is poor, and Netflix is outputting at 2160p, then you may need to tweak your TVs picture settings.

Cheers

profile.country.MK.title
Muchakis

Everything is fine with your TV, it's just the way Netflix works. It displays the full resolution of the content you are watching, but lowers the bit rate of the video to speed up loading and cut down on bandwidth. As a result we get a lower quality video that is good when watching from a distance, but when we look closely we can see there are no fine details. Search on Google about this topic to get more information.

Cheers

profile.country.IT.title
stef_mir
Explorer

Hi guys and thank you both for your answear. I checked the i+ button and it is actually 2160p. I am a bit disappointer, I expected better quality, I don't know, at this point, if it is worth to pay the 3 extra € Netflix wants for the 4K content...

HowlinWolf_PL
Explorer

i'm on the Sony 4K KD-49X8005C model with 4K package and looks like since the recent Android TV Netflix app update the INFO button doesn't work anymore which is a big let down for me as i liked to check the displayed quality.

I understand that there is a general info on info page of the selected movie, TV series and the quality looks like 2160p but it was handy to have it before...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @HowlinWolf_PL

Please see this thread for info on the Netflix Info bar (i+ button)

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/neftlix-info-button/td-p/2262851

Cheers

HowlinWolf_PL
Explorer

@Anonymous

thanks for that !