Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55XD8599 Problem since Marshmallow update

Deblob
Explorer

KD-55XD8599 Problem since Marshmallow update

Hi all.

New to the forums so please excuse if I've posted in the wrong thread etc.

Basically, since my TV updated to Marshmallow around 2 weeks ago I've been having an issue with apps running and leaving a faded square box in the top left corner.

Sometimes it's smaller but sometimes can r half the screen.

Happens only on Apps (Netflix, Amazon, Kodi) and not on any HDMi channels.

Seems to happen possibly 80% of the time and I've not found a way for it to stop.

I've reset the TV to factory settings numerous times and also restored with current firmware that i downloaded from the Sony site and flashed using a USB stick.

Also I've ensured that all the apps are up to date via Google Play Store.

Can anyone confirm wether this is a one off in my case or wether the issue is more widespread?

I've attached a few sample images for you guys to see.

Many thanks.IMG_20170319_234053.jpgIMG_20170319_234101.jpgIMG_20170319_235356.jpg

21 REPLIES 21
Deblob
Explorer

Hi all.

I've managed to find a temporary fix for thiz.

Here's a link to a video showing the fix I've been using. https://youtu.be/HYg7a-2FYxU

It is only a temporary fix, switching apps or going back and forth from other inputs will make the squares appear on your screen again but this fixes it for the time being. 

I've made the video only viewable via the link as i don't want any trouble regarding copyright on the content i was playing.

I firmly believe after discovering this fix that this is a software issue and not hardware issue.

May be wrong though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

So to confirm - the work-around is to go into the settings menu and then out again?

Also, as your YouTube link is clearly demonstrating a problem/solution, there would be no issue in you embedding the link into your post.  Issues only arise when someone is blatently advertising their channel using content that is not their own.

Cheers

Deblob
Explorer

Thanks for the clarity with regards to the content. 

Yes, simply hit the Home key, scroll down to the settings tab and open it. 

As soon as you are in the settings main menu, simply head straight back into Netflix (in my case this mostly happens in Netflix) and seems to fix the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - if it really is firmware/software issue.  Maybe this is one of critical issues that Sony 'may' be fixing when the roll-out of Marshmallow resumes.  Which wont be too long now.  Time will tell.

profile.country.GB.title
rainbow106

Spoiler

Hi Everyone well you can add us to this list KD65XD8599.

We did not do any update but has lines on our TV first it started on right hand side a bit but spread all across TV .

We only bought on 24 dec 2016 know how taken for repairs 

It was a good think a guy recommended cover plan for TV in Curry's and I did not cancel the plan will keep you updated what is the cause of this

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @rainbow106

As your TV hasnt been updated to Marshmallow yet, then this thread is not applicable to you im afraid.  Although I understand your frustrations of having your TV in repairs so soon after you purchased it.  Hope all goes well in the future though.  In regards to your other post, I moved it in a new thread on its own.

Unsure if you know how to create a new topic on this forum, but see these instrustions HERE

Cheers

bigjohn1980
Explorer

Hi 

Can i just say i do not think it is the new update as it was on my tv about 2 to 3 months before.the update after my tv had new board (was not there for about 8 months)!

And i would also like to say thank for passimg this for.me just.waiting.for a phone call

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigjohn1980

Your right about it not being specific to marshmallow - appologies.  Although this thread is specific to this 'faded square box' issue.

In regards to awaiting a phone call from Sony - you should have had one long ago.  I received a repy on the 23-03-2017 stating that someone will contact you in regards to moving forward with this.  Sony have also passed this to the tech analysts for investigation too.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rainbow106

know how part of currys has been in touch saying its a screen replacement so sony are going to give us a new 65inch tv replacement.

schambers196
Explorer

I too am having this issue except my television is KD43X8307CSU. I have updated to Marshmallow but thinking that the issue was there prior to this. What is the best route to escalate this to Sony?