Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65A1 Headphone/Audio Out Subwoofer Not Working after Firmware v6.285

profile.country.GB.title
Simon23
Explorer

KD-65A1 Headphone/Audio Out Subwoofer Not Working after Firmware v6.285

I just upgraded my KD-65A1 to firmware v6.285 and there is no sound coming from my external subwoofer.

Settings>Sound>Headphone/Audio Out is still set to Subwoofer but there is no output.

I have checked my external subwoofer is working by connecting to a different device.

Prior to the firmware upgrade it has worked perfectly with my KD-65A1 from new.

Is this a problem with the new firmware?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
EdwinaU

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your question. We'll look into this and get back to you shortly.

Best wishes,

Ed

profile.country.GB.title
Sean_Mc

HI Simon,

This issue hasn't been reported before.

I would recommend resetting your TV to factory settings which should resolve this problem.

Let me know how you get on?

Best wishes,

Sean Mc

profile.country.GB.title
Simon23
Explorer

Thanks Sean. I followed your advice and did a factory data reset. Unfortunately the external subwoofer output still isn't working. If I change Settings>Sound>Headphone/Audio Out to Headphone then I can hear a feint sound coming out of the external subwoofer (internal speakers are off) but when I set it to Subwoofer there is no sound at all from the external subwoofer (internal speakers are on).

Any ideas?

Can I go back to the previous firmware?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

To be honest your issue is unlikely to be related to the latest FW. Otherwise by now there would be many users reporting the issue.

You must have an amplifier or receiver at home to run some tests in order to be certain in isolating the issue and deciding on the way forward. For all these tests;

• the Speakers setting must be set to TV.
  • Disconnect (unpair and delete) any Bluetooth devices you might have paired with the TV.
  • Also disconnect any other devices from the Optical output and HDMI 1-4 inputs, specially USB devices such as external accessories.
  • Then reboot the TV by holding the Power button for 6 seconds on the Remote Control.
  • Now tune-in to a Digital broadcast channel cable/sat.

Start testing by:

• Connect a pair of headphones to the TV and set the Sound setting to Headphones. Do you hear clear sound?
  • Connect using a 3.5mm jack to stereo RCA male cable, the TV to an amp/receiver. Set the Sound setting to Audio Out. Do you hear clear sound?
  • Connect a different Subwoofer (friends/family/neighbors) to the TV and set the Sound setting to Subwoofer. Does that work? If you can’t arrange a subwoofer you could also keep the amp/receiver from the previous step connected and just try with that having the TV Sound setting on Subwoofer. You should hear a deep humming sound which follows the bass from the TV speakers.

Once you know what works and what doesn’t by eliminating all options you can start isolating the issue. The solution can be sometimes as easy as running the subwoofer cable away from all other mains power cables. The only point here is that before deciding to call for a repair service you must be certain that the issue is there and is related to the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Simon23
Explorer

Thanks for your advice but I still don't get the results I would expect even though I now have a workaround.

I tested my external subwoofer with other amplifers and it worked fine.

I rebooted the TV and retuned from scratch.

As recommended, I connected a pair of headphones and set Headphone/Audio Out to Headphone. Very feint output - unusable.

I tested my external subwoofer and set Headphone/Audio Out to Audio out (Fixed) and it worked fine. In fact it appears to be working the same when Headphone/Audio Out was set to Subwoofer on the previous software version. So this is a workaround for me.

Headphone/Audio Out set to Audio out (Variable) also doesn't work.

The KD-65A1 Firmware v6.285 Headphone/Audio Out options are:

1. Headphone

2. Audio out (Fixed)

3. Audio out (Variable)

4. Subwoofer.

To summarise the only output that is working is Audio out (Fixed).