Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65X8505C - wrong colors (dynamic range)

profile.country.GB.title
B1tK1t
Explorer

KD-65X8505C - wrong colors (dynamic range)

I found out that the colors better said the dynamic range is wrong in every android app (e.g. youtube, video, ..).

If you try to calibrate the TV in Apps mode you will notice that color bars are visible in a range of 16-255 which is wrong. Correct would be a range of 16-235 as it's the standard for video output. So it expands the dynamic range in the white area from 235 to 255. Black is fine and sits at 16. The issue then is, that you will see a lot of the so called color banding.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @B1tK1t,

Have you tried to do the calibration in TV or HDMI mode to see if this makes any difference?

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
B1tK1t
Explorer

Hi @cass_n,

Yes, I have calibrated every of the 4 HDMI ports which are working fine. Nah not really fine, it's one component which has the same issue. I'll tell you later more. The Problem is only in that "Apps" and "Apps (Video)" picture mode. As you know every single source needs to be calibrated ones. You can simply verify this by yourself. Load this video from into the internal youtube app and tell me which color bars you see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwKFQl2U7Nk

Video content normally have a limited range of 16-235!

The component with the same behavior is the Shield TV. The only color space setting that works correctly is RGB 8-bit Rec.709 "Full". Every other color space setting shows a range of 16-255. So I think this is an Android TV issue in general.

profile.country.GB.title
B1tK1t
Explorer

Anyone else?

profile.country.GB.title
B1tK1t
Explorer

Ok, I just called a friend who owns a KD-65XE9005 and as I thought, it has the same issue. So yea, it looks like a bug in Android TV in general. It's really sad that basic things don't work properly.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

How do you manage to see that it goes up to 255? Seriously, I am interested about this issue. Could this be related to the washed colours in (some of) the dark scenes as well?

profile.country.GB.title
B1tK1t
Explorer

Yes, this has todo with washed out colors as we have 20 more white levels which are not supposed to be there (235+20=255). The black levels are ok and sit at 16. So black is black, but white is super white.

If you want to test it by yourself I posted above a video where you can check the white level.

Step by Step Guide:
-----------------------
1. Open the youtube app on your TV
2. Search for "AVS HD 709 Contrast Calibration"
3. Start playing the video
4. Check how many bars you see blinking
5. The result should be 235!
6. If result is 255, then it's a bug and move to the next step, else stop here.
7. Call Sony and Google!