Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65XD9305 high input lag

Beckman1986
Explorer

KD-65XD9305 high input lag

Hey,

I am thinking about upgrading my Sony Bravia W805 to the new XD94 but this years line up has super high input lag. I am a big online gamer mainly on PS4 and I would be using this as my main TV for movies and games, the high input lag is really stopping me from just going out and buying one, does anyone know why the input lag is so high this year and could this be fixed with an update?

If you have this tv and use it for gaming could you let me know if the input lag has effected you at all ?

Any info would be appreciated, as it will really help me with my decisions 

Many Thanks 

Adam 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I note that on some of the early reviews, the input lag was coming back around that 50ms mark.  However review coming back these days seem to be around that 36ms mark - which is more respectable.  

A good comment from the AVForums:

_20160503_230012.JPG

Cheers

Beckman1986
Explorer

This is the issue I am having, if you check different review sites you will get different input lag scores seems very strange to me.

on hdtvtest they said this "Placing our Leo Bodnar input lag tester on the middle flashing white box on the screen of the KD-65XD9305, we encountered a weird phenomenon we haven’t seen before. In [Game] and [Graphic] modes, the returned figure would slowly increase from 51ms to 70ms, then quickly drop back to 51ms before repeating the cycle. The same behaviour was observed in all other presets: for example, in [Cinema pro] mode the lag times would yo-yo between 78ms and 94ms" 

The above seems very worrying if the input lag could jump around while playing this would cause some serious issues when playing a fast past fps for example. 

On AVForums Mark said this "Anybody even remotely serious about their gaming will need to select the Game mode from the Picture Menu of the Sony KD-55XD9305. Without it, you’re looking of input latency of around 90 milliseconds, which even a middle aged ‘casual’ like me finds intolerable. In Game mode, as measured by our Leo Bodnar tester, we got a 55 millisecond lag which, while fine for me and my single player only ways, might be a little high for those that take it more seriously. You can use the white balance settings from the Cinema modes when gaming, however, so the picture quality was great"

so both hdtvtest and AVForums used the same equipment and seem to have the same results, but like you said on flatpanelshd they measured 36ms just a bit strange if you ask me and it makes me a bit unsure about buying the TV.

Now if Sony have released an update which has now solved this that would be great but I would need confirmation of that before buying one. 

Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ive escalated your original post to Sony, in the hopes they can reveal the input lag for game mode from their own testing.  However, to be frank, im not sure they will reveal it - but one can hope, you never know.

Cheers

Beckman1986
Explorer

Hey 

I was just wondering if you had heard anything back about this?

Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

No answer yet im afraid.  Just 'bumped' them to remind Sony to respond.  

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sony has responded, however unfortunately they will not release this information publically.  The only thing you can do is rely on the reviews conducted by various sites - which i know is a mixed bag for the XD930 model.

Another suggestion is to ensure that the retailer you purchase the tv from has a good returns policy, just in case you are not happy on the lag.

Im sorry that i cannot provide any more information than that.

Cheers

PS: even thought Sony cannot give me the exact figure, ive replied back to see if they can tell me which is more accurate figure (52ms or 36ms).  Who knows...  :wink:

gebearm

Having two satellite inputs I expected as told by a Sony rep. that the 9305 TV would have FREESAT. but it does not and is I am told  by another Sony rep a German model.. Sound is harsh & picture freezes has to be switched off at the mains and switch on again. Totally lousy Web Browser that should have been Google Chrome not rotten Opera..Put a Sony CT 309 Soundbar in front of stand mounted TVand remote will not operate TV.  I regret buying this TV.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@gebearm probably you should document yourself a little deeper on what your TV is capable to do... Sony Android is  the only Tv that can install Chrome (avoiding a discussion on which is the real use of a web browser on a tv...) : there is plenty of guides on how to do it on this site and on the internet.