Join now - be part of our community!

KD-65XF9005 USB recording

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
speyside13
Explorer

KD-65XF9005 USB recording

Bought this tv a couple of weeks ago and connected an external hard disc for recording. The problem is that after a couple of minutes the tv loses connection with the USB drive and we have to unplug and re-plug the USB device again. Is this normal for this tv? At the shop they suggested to get a USB drive that can be connected to the mains but weren't 100% sure this would solve the problem. I also read about people using USB sticks but perhaps this was to watch movies they got from the web. Any suggestions please? Thank you...

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
DerwentMailman
Explorer

I have the 49XF9005 just over a week ago (updated to oreo 8.0 via USB) and tested USB recording from the TV tuner on a 128GB flash drive memory stick.  Both recordings have worked so far.  I even switched off TV (into standby mode) last night and the recording appears to have worked. 

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
speyside13
Explorer

Thanks again for the info...we are now using a USB3 stick instead which seems to have solved the problem.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
DerwentMailman
Explorer

I have the 49XF9005 just over a week ago (updated to oreo 8.0 via USB) and tested USB recording from the TV tuner on a 128GB flash drive memory stick.  Both recordings have worked so far.  I even switched off TV (into standby mode) last night and the recording appears to have worked. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@speyside13 wrote:

Bought this tv a couple of weeks ago and connected an external hard disc for recording. The problem is that after a couple of minutes the tv loses connection with the USB drive and we have to unplug and re-plug the USB device again. Is this normal for this tv? At the shop they suggested to get a USB drive that can be connected to the mains but weren't 100% sure this would solve the problem. I also read about people using USB sticks but perhaps this was to watch movies they got from the web. Any suggestions please? Thank you...

You don’t mention what model of USB drive you bought, so I can’t look up the spec for you :thinking:

But you need to find out the current draw (Amperes) that the drive needs, and the current that the USB port(s) on your TV can provide.

Here’s  a useful link to an article that explains it all - or most of it, as my impression is that the little plastic bit in a USB3 or higher port is blue, rather than white, which isn’t mentioned there, so maybe it isn’t universal.

It doesn’t matter if you plug the USB drive into a USB port that can provide more current than the drive needs; but if you plug it into one that can only provide less, then it won’t work reliably.

As the article says, some USB devices come with a Y cable, one leg signal and power and the other power only, so they can be plugged into two USB ports at once, thus increasing the current available to them.

But if even that is not enough current, then mains power is needed.

If you can post the amount of current the USB drive needs, the amount of current each USB port on the TV can provide, and whether you got a Y cable with the drive or not, we can tell you if needing mains power is going to be the issue or not.

As regards USB sticks, the TV sees these as the same as USB drives, but the different technology means the current draw for sticks is much less, though the storage tends to be more expensive. There should be nothing to stop you using a stick, though, as long as it has enough memory, and is formatted correctly; requirements that apply equally to sticks and drives.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
speyside13
Explorer

That really helps...thanks!

profile.country.GB.title
speyside13
Explorer

Thank you very much...I read the article and now understand the issue (I think;-) ). I could not find too much data on the current our drive needs...Goodram DataGO Blue 2.5" 500GB, USB-A 3.0 (HDDGR-03-500).

profile.country.GB.title
speyside13
Explorer

sorry forgot to answer the other questions...

the amount of current each USB port on the TV can provide 900mA for recording, the 2 others 500mA

and whether you got a Y cable with the drive or not No

Thank you for your help

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@speyside13 wrote:

sorry forgot to answer the other questions...

the amount of current each USB port on the TV can provide 900mA for recording, the 2 others 500mA

and whether you got a Y cable with the drive or not No

Thank you for your help

Nor me, on the ‘not too much data’ issue. You can find links to Goodram on Google, but the most promising one doesn’t seem to work - first time I’ve been 404’ed in Polish :tongue:

But comparable 500GB drives don’t seem to pull more than 2.5 watts at peak, which is 0.5A at the 5V that USB ports run at, so the 0.9A of the recording port on the TV ought to be comfortably adequate.

Which is the good news; but the bad news is you probably need to look elsewhere for why the HDD is playing up :cry:

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
DerwentMailman
Explorer

OK all my recordings have been done and have now had a chance to watch the quality of playback from these recordings.  One film was Channel 4 HD and other BBC2 HD.  All recordings carried out on a USB 3 128GB stick with connection to the blue USB port on the back of the TV.  Every so often the recording seems to miss frames such that it looks like the TV has gone into 'blink' mode for a split second so that all you can see is a blank dark frame.  Never noticed this on any live viewing - just on the USB recording.  Started watching John Carter and it was OK for about 15-20 mins then it started (playback was still smooth but like I say it was equivalent to taking a long blink (only it was the 55XF9005 doing it not me!)) with several blinks within a minute to the extent that it ruined the experience (the 'dripping tap' syndrome).  Have tried the cinema pro mtion playback settings mentioned in another thread but no joy alas.

Fortunately the bulk of my recording continues to be a dedicated Humax Freesat box but I'd still like to have the option of having the odd recording from the Sony when needed.  Updated to Oreo 8.0 without  any other issue it seems.  Any suggestions?

profile.country.GB.title
speyside13
Explorer

Thanks again for the info...we are now using a USB3 stick instead which seems to have solved the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
ScottYates
New

I have same issue

tried new hdd

tried turning off all settings eg motion flow

same issue

Anyone got any ideas to fix ???

Please help??