Join now - be part of our community!

KD -XD9305 - Subtitles and local dimming

profile.country.DK.title
reiche1

KD -XD9305 - Subtitles and local dimming

When watching TV (as in DTV - DVB-T) subtitlesunfortunately seems to affect the brightness of local dimming. I have currently set local dimming to low, but display of subtitles still affects the contrast of a large area around the subtitles. This is not very clever!

Perhaps a smaller size or less bright color of subtitles could help to lower the impact of subtitles? But I can't find any other settings of subtitles other than on/off and language, is this really what is possible?

I would like to select colour or brightness, font-size and position of text. Also details of the subtitles bar would be handy to be able to change.

I'm currently running Android 6.0.1 3865. 

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unfortunately you cannot change the characteristics of subtitles.  Even though the following thread is 4 years old, it is still the same for today.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/enlarge-subtitles-on-bravia-kdlex650/td-p/644592

Cheers

profile.country.DK.title
reiche1

Hmmm... I'm dissapointed. Maybe all TV engineers come from regions where dubbing is preferred to subtitles...

At least Netflix cares about it.

Is there anywhere to parse on the request for Sony? Or is it not worth the effort...

My Sony PS3 got some "subtitle style" option on the "triangle" menu. But the with the current blu-ray there is none. So I'm watching a letterboxed movie with subtitles (both single and double line) are positioned inside the "moviebox" with a large black box below. Not clever at all 😞

/Reiche

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Unforunately there is no point passing this onto Sony, as they cannot do anything about it.  Subtitles from 'Freeview' transmissions (i.e. DVB-T/2) come from the broadcaster.  The broadcaster must also comply with the agreed industry standards.

Streaming Apps like Netflix are different and hence can implement subtitles their own way.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Quinnicus wrote:

Unfortunately you cannot change the characteristics of subtitles. 

@reiche1 Have you tried to go to Settings/Accessibility and then.. Subtitles? At least in Android 7.0 that works with the YouTube (and others) subtitles at least. It has all kind of options.

I strongly hope, since that's for the Android system subtitles, it will work for the DTV as well (I don't use the aerial, so I can't check).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

Have you tried to go to Settings/Accessibility and then.. Subtitles? At least in Android 7.0 that works with the YouTube (and others) subtitles at least. It has all kind of options.

I just tested this - doesnt work for broadcast TV due to the reason I listed above.  Worth a shot though.

profile.country.DK.title
reiche1

So it has a subtitle setting 🙂 I hadn't found that option. But as Quinnicus stated, it doesn't work for DTV.

/M

profile.country.DK.title
reiche1

Back to the original answer from Quinnicus...

I did assume that subtitles were broadcast as text, but even if it is bitmap it would be possible to either make it more or less opaque. And even resize it, in my case I think that 75% size would be more adequate.

Currently I have starting to set blackness level to low, and even with local dimming set to high (used to be low or medium), it does seem to positive effect on the problem. But I haven't had a really dark seen with subtitles yet.

/M

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Yeah, thinking better about it, if they are the "old" Teletext subs there is little one can do. Although if those are the subs I remember them coming with a black background when I was in UK (ages ago). In my tests with other subs that alone removed any glowing effect. Is it like that or now things are different? I mean, just curious. And I can't test it much, only few shows have subs in Italy (but when they do it still says they are on page 777 of Teletext - Televideo in Italian). Are the UK subs coming from the same source?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

You mean that also in Italy most movies are dubbed? I would never enjoy a dubbed movie.

I have the same issue with subtitles but only when manually adding them in kodi for example. In my country subs are embedded with video transmition.

Kodi has some options for font color and others