Join now - be part of our community!

KD49X8309C - No standby light

treanora
Explorer

KD49X8309C - No standby light

I have a very strange problem. My tv is relatively new and had no real problems. A few days ago I got up and could not turn it on with the controller. There was also no small red standby light. I got it to work by unplugging and plugging back on. Then everything works fine. When I turn it off for a small amount of time I can turn it back on with the controller, although there is no stanby light when I turn it off. But, when the tv is turned off for a while (like overnight) it will only turn on by unplug/replug. Has anyone else had this because it's baffling me?

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Does this model actually have a standby LED ? I have a different model, and that doesn't illuminate an LED in normal use when in standby, although I think from memory it does illuminate if a timer event is stored. I also recall that the behaviour of the LED is configurable in the settings menus. Whether similar applies to yours I can't say.

With your remote you should first of all ensure the batteries are good and that the contacts are clean. That would be a first line of attack for any random/intermittent remote problems.

Beyond that, and if you feel its still not working correctly then I'm afraid the old line of 'factory reset' has to be be applied.

If its still misbehaving then you need to disconnect any ancilliary equipment that is connected, do the reset again and retest.

If it is still no good then you could be looking at some odd hardware issue but try all the other options first and see if you can narrow things down a bit.     

treanora
Explorer

Thanks for your reply. I have done soft re-sets, i've done a factory re-set, tried a different power socket...the lot. The first issue that came to light was the fact I couldn't turn the tv on so I changed the batteries in the remote but that has not solved it. When I turned the power socket off and on the tv works. Then, everything works fine including the remote until the tv has been turned off for a while. I'll be honest with you, I cannot be 100% certain if it has a standby or not as I'm beginning to question myeself. But I'm 90% sure it has a red dot when it's on standby that goes green when it is on - and with nature of the power problem in the morning I am putting two and two together. I have checked the manuals available but they do not comment on the standby. I've also tried google images. There is a white ambient glow under the sony logo that turns different colours if there is an error but I think that is separate. When the tv is turned off (supposedly on standby) it is totally black and I don't hink that's how it was.

I've also checked the setting for idle mode and eco settings etc and made sure they are off.

In reality, the only way it effects me is that I have to power off and on maybe once or possibly twice a day. But I am wondering why this is happening. why will it turn on and off ok once it has got started??

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@treanora

I don't beleieve that x83c is any different when it comes to LED than w75c so...... You shouldn't have any light when the TV is in standby and especially not red one. Unles you have some event scheduled (recording). Once the TV comes on then the LED is white. Might be in other colours, depends of the state the TV is but normal usage is white and off in standby.

treanora
Explorer

Thanks for your response. It seems I may be mistaken about the red light. My other tv's and any other one I can remember has a light indicating it is on standby when it is turned off. Putting that aside, do you have any ideas on the issue turning it on? This is what seems strange to me. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@treanora wrote:

do you have any ideas on the issue turning it on? This is what seems strange to me. 

Hi there

It appears to me that your TV is failing to switch on after being in 'deep sleep' mode.  After about 2hrs in standby, Android TVs go into this deep sleep mode to conserve even more power.

So what can you do:  Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed on your TV.  If you need to update the firmware, also do a factory reset afterwards.

If your TV is less than 12 months old - contact the retailer you purchased it from for either an exchange or arrange a repair. 

All else, contact Sony Support to arrange a repair.

Cheers

treanora
Explorer

Thank you very much for your help. I am on the latest version and have done a factory reset. I think I will carry it out again and see how it is in the morning. What you have suggested seems to make sense. You say it it to save even more power...does this mean it is intentional or indeed a fault. Is this a sign of further troubles to come or is it a worst case scenario that I will just have to power off and on when idle for two hours?

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

No - Im calling a fault.  The TV should still 'wake up' upon pressing the power button on the remote control even in deep sleep mode.  As thats seemingly not the case.... then there is not too much else to do.  Obviously the work-around is to pull the plug and it works.  But on a longer term, this would be annoying !  :slight_smile:

treanora
Explorer

Thanks again for your help. I will see what happens in the morning.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

@kinggo01 wrote:

@treanora

I don't beleieve that x83c is any different when it comes to LED than w75c so...... You shouldn't have any light when the TV is in standby and especially not red one. Unles you have some event scheduled (recording). Once the TV comes on then the LED is white. Might be in other colours, depends of the state the TV is but normal usage is white and off in standby.

Thats pretty much how I would describe the LED on my TV although it does show other colours if timer events have been stored, and when timer events are running. All different shades of redish/violet colour depending what its doing or waiting to do.

The only other thing I can suggest for the OP is to ensure that any external equipment is disconnected (at least as a trial).

Other than that and it is possibly looking like a hardware issue... an odd one though.