Join now - be part of our community!

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

AdKeyz
Explorer

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

Hi,

The Video app on my Sony TV (KD55S8505C) always stretches the image to fullscreen and there seems to be no way of changing this.

Pressing the action menu reveals an option for either "Expand" or "Fit to screen" but neither of these options change anything.

Playing the video with any other app, VLC or MX Player for example, the video will play correctly, however this is not an acceptable solution as you cannot enable 3D Mode with these apps (which is just plain rediculous) so to watch a 3D file I am forced to use Sony's own Video app and suffer the stretching which makes everything look awful and out of proportion.

Is there any fix for this or is it a known issue that will be resolved in a softaware update?

Thanks,

Adam.

Tags (4)
72 REPLIES 72
doomer87

I confirm that detaching the AC cord is different respect to rebooting the system by maintaining pressed the power button of the remote for many seconds.

Now the Video app is opening my videos with the wrong aspect ratio as usual.

In any case, Sony sucks.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

The video app has to be one of the most, if not the most, widely used and important apps Sony has. To produce a very large update package and do nothing about the most important app is astounding. As I've said before, if this aspect ratio issue was on the phone/tablet version it would be fixed in a week. The tv version, it seems, will never be fixed.  I can't understand the total apathy. 

profile.country.HU.title
csberen
Explorer

The same problem KD49X8309C Hungary!
Video app 1.0.A.5.16

Aspect ratio can not be changed..

profile.country.GB.title
Timmy1967
Explorer

I have an 8057 and the same issue .Its infuriating .I cannot run Plex on my NAS so I have to keep my PC running.

VLC downgrades DTS to stereo whilst the native video app passes through the DTS.

Why can Sony not sort something so simple.

Just another bug .My next TVs going to be a Samsung

Hello All.

Good News!! I have just downloaded from the Sony support website the very latest rolled out Marshmallow firmware update,and I can reliably informed all Sony Bravia 4K users,that the stretched Video App issue has now after 18 months,been resolved. I urge users to go to the Sony support website,and download the firmware install it to a Fat 32 formatted USB (clean) with no other files,insert it to the TV whilst TV is on,it should then boot from usb. Taken around 40 mins to install and update.:smileyhi:. New version.PKG3.843.0135EUB.Midl TV KD55X507C & KD55X509C

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I've downloaded the update and it's not resolved. The app cannot play
widescreen correctly from usb or via upnp. It stretches the image
vertically and looks terrible.

Hello. This is strange? My TV is displaying all inputs correctly,I can expand and Fit the screen as previously this had been removed or just didn't work from the broken firmware update of 18 months plus ago. I can upnp and display USB formats perfectly. Please make sure that you've downloaded and updated the correctly,as there are 3 different versions floating around on the internet I've noticed. I'm sorry to hear your still experiencing difficulty,but mine has rectified itself using the Marshmallow update.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Try playing a movie in 2:35:1 aspect ratio (standard widescreen for
movies). The app plays it correctly for a split second then slightly
stretches it vertically. It's not the same as the old problem of it
stretching vertically to fill the whole screen but it's still not working.
It stretches vertically by about ten percent.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh

I am playing a 2:35:1 aspect ratio film (that I have just converted from .mkv to .mp4) and its playing on my TV right now with no problems.  I have also tried another test file of that aspect ratio with no fault.  I cannot replicate this problem.

Can you try testing other files? 

Edit: Below is the video information for one of the files:

Aspect Ratio.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Hi Quinnicus. Yes I think your mostly right. I tried 3 mkvs of Hollywood movies and they all play the correct aspect ratio. Two which are Asian horror movies and supposed to be the same 2 35 1 ratio had the slightly stretched error. Kodi plays these movies in the correct aspect ratio. But it seems for the vast majority of movie the Sony video app will pay the correct aspect ratio.