Join now - be part of our community!

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

AdKeyz
Explorer

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

Hi,

The Video app on my Sony TV (KD55S8505C) always stretches the image to fullscreen and there seems to be no way of changing this.

Pressing the action menu reveals an option for either "Expand" or "Fit to screen" but neither of these options change anything.

Playing the video with any other app, VLC or MX Player for example, the video will play correctly, however this is not an acceptable solution as you cannot enable 3D Mode with these apps (which is just plain rediculous) so to watch a 3D file I am forced to use Sony's own Video app and suffer the stretching which makes everything look awful and out of proportion.

Is there any fix for this or is it a known issue that will be resolved in a softaware update?

Thanks,

Adam.

Tags (4)
72 REPLIES 72
profile.country.GB.title
Oniiz86
Explorer

@Garymjh wrote:

Hi Quinnicus. Yes I think your mostly right. I tried 3 mkvs of Hollywood movies and they all play the correct aspect ratio. Two which are Asian horror movies and supposed to be the same 2 35 1 ratio had the slightly stretched error. Kodi plays these movies in the correct aspect ratio. But it seems for the vast majority of movie the Sony video app will pay the correct aspect ratio. 

Hi Gary,

What you have witnessed regarding the "Video App" aspect ratio bug is exactly the same issue what an AVS forum member "Danabw" first discovered when he received the Marshmallow update in the US back in December, he was kind enough to post a couple of photos clearly illustrating this "New & Improved" version of the aspect ratio bug, here is a link http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1985298-sony-2015-xbr-55x850c-xbr-65x850c-..., his post #12348.

A few US owners were quite happy at first thinking the Marshmallow update rectified it ONLY after 13 months later until he was quick to point out the "new" aspect ratio bug which he finds quite baffling as to how they screwed it up again this time around.

I'm new around here, is there any chance for you to pass this link along to "Quinnicus" the resident expert.

Regards Bobby

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Hi Bobby. Thanks for that, but that's the longest page I've ever seen and it doesn't find the post number you have on a page search or the words video or aspect. Can you copy the post here? Thanks very much. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh wrote:

Hi Bobby. Thanks for that, but that's the longest page I've ever seen and it doesn't find the post number you have on a page search or the words video or aspect. Can you copy the post here? Thanks very much. 

Its this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1985298-sony-2015-xbr-55x850c-xbr-65x850c-...

"The only setting is Expand on the Action/Video settings. In Action/Settings there are no aspect ratio options.  An example of the stretching, Fifth Element beginning.

@Garymjh - Is this what you are getting?  Or is this different ?  If different - can you please provide photos/videos etc.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I still can't read the post as the link just goes to the longest internet page ever made Can you post the text?. But looking at the tri star photo, yes that's exactly what I was describing. Stretched vertically by about 10 or 20 percent. Why it happens on some movies and not on others I have no idea. Thanks very much if you can report it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh @Oniiz86

Issue added to the bugs and issues thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2299458#M16808

Lets see if the text will post:

avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1985298-sony-2015-xbr-55x850c-xbr-65x850c-xbr-75x850c-owners-club-412.html#post48884361

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Garymjh

With one of the videos that does do this stretching, can you please run the file through MediaInfo : https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo  and post back the details - text format.  It might help Sony diagnose the issue.

Also, if you could add a photo as a demonstration (like above), it would help too.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Ok thanks very much. EDIT : The file has the media info on it on it's website. I've noticed it's actually 2:40:1 not 2:35:1 . Maybe that's why it stretches. As I said in another post the Sony video app displays the film correctly for a split second before it then stretches it from 2:40 to 2:35  I suspect the app cannot do 2:40:1   As this was reported to Sony in December for the USA rollout and they did nothing in the European version of marshmallow I can't see them fixing it though. Media info below. 

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 5 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 2h 36mn
Bit rate                                 : 18.1 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 24.000 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.490
Stream size                              : 19.7 GiB (90%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 148 r2705kMod 3f5ed56
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=11 / psy=1 / fade_compensate=0.00 / psy_rd=0.90:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / fgo=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=15.6000 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=40000 / vbv_bufsize=30000 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.90
Language                                 : Korean
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Garymjh and @Oniiz86

Can you confirm (or deny) if this issue has been resolved under the new firmware 3.845?

Cheers

Hi members,

As far as my previous issues, i can confirm that since installation of the latest version firmware,I suffer no stretched video ratio in any film format,be it mkv,xvid or avi etc etc.  I stream all my HD and UHD content over my network from gaming pc to KD55-X8507C/9C sets. I believe some people still have issues using gimp media using USB files, however I do not use this method to view my media sources.

Hope this helps guys?

Robbie.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks RobbieRedDevil for the reply and confirming things are still OK for you.

However I think the latest was an issue with an aspect ratio of 2.40:1 - where it was displaying incorrectly.  In the firmware resolved changelog for 3.845, it says:

• Incorrect USB video aspect ratio display for 21:9 content