Join now - be part of our community!

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

AdKeyz
Explorer

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

Hi,

The Video app on my Sony TV (KD55S8505C) always stretches the image to fullscreen and there seems to be no way of changing this.

Pressing the action menu reveals an option for either "Expand" or "Fit to screen" but neither of these options change anything.

Playing the video with any other app, VLC or MX Player for example, the video will play correctly, however this is not an acceptable solution as you cannot enable 3D Mode with these apps (which is just plain rediculous) so to watch a 3D file I am forced to use Sony's own Video app and suffer the stretching which makes everything look awful and out of proportion.

Is there any fix for this or is it a known issue that will be resolved in a softaware update?

Thanks,

Adam.

Tags (4)
72 REPLIES 72
Chrisg684
Explorer

I have an x9005c and this started happening only after the latest firmware upgrade for me. I guess I'll have to ring Sony support (again).

AdKeyz
Explorer

Hi Chris,

In a way i'm glad i'm not the only one experiancing this issue. I really hope Sony will sort this out in a software update soon as playing a video at its native aspect ratio is a fairly basic requirement for a video player!

Did you call Sony Support about this issue? I was pretty sure it only started happening after an update too, I was sure that it was working correctly when I first got the TV so i'm also glad im not losing my mind either!

Thanks,

Adam.

Chrisg684
Explorer

Well they insisted that they sent someone to fix it. They have taken it away and I'm utterly unconvinced they will do anything that will fix it as it's clearly a software problem. I'm probably going to be insisting on a refund as this along with it turning itself on and off when it feels like it makes it pretty much impossible to use. i think the software feels unfinished and the updates seem to just break new things.

I too have had the very same issue on my 55X8507/9c models. It started after the previous firmware update,and has affected certain YouTube videos. Sony tech support sent me a brand new set,even though I assured them that it wasn't a TV set issue,its simply a firmware issue,guess what, the new TV came with the older firmware installed,all worked flawlessly, that was until I updated to the current firmware version. The Video app image reverted to the full screen stretched screen aspect!! The latest I've been told by support is that a firmware release at the end of this month is planned,howeve iv'e been told since this does not include a fix to this most annoying,and quite frankly uncalled for issue,please test firmware before releasing SONY. 1 workaround,install Plex or similar on PC and the Sony Bravia, its not ideal as 3D doesnt work,but it works without format distortion. I was told that a fix has been developed last Friday,and is being released this coming week,however since speaking with other staff at Sony, this has now been denied,its only the hard drive recording function firmware patch, and PIP along with some other stuff to improve image quality. We will just have to wait my friends? Unacceptable SONY.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sony is already aware of this issue and is investigating a fix for it.  I will also add it to the list of kniwn bugs and issues too.

Cheers

jonembho1
New

Thank you to all who have reported this as a problem and to Adam for starting this post. I was happy to find this post because I could not get this f***ing thing to work in the video app. Thought I was the only one...... so frustrating! Hope Sony get it fixed asap. Using VLC is not the same (no 3D)

Kind regards

Jone

AdKeyz
Explorer

Still remains an issue with the latest software update too. Whats really annoying is that it used to work fine so why cant we just have the old version of the app back!

This can be done really easily as the Video app can be updated with the Play Store so a full software update is not needed!

Sony are you listening? Please either fix the app or allow 3D mode with other apps like VLC!

Hello,

Thankyou for your post to this annoying fault to the aspect ratio stretching using the Video app.  I am no further along with a fix being issued after 3 months! I have been told it was my video files on my PC, I've had 2 new sets due to different issues, and they both had the old firmware,and all worked well. t I was informed that a new firmware would fix it in March,however I new different, and that the new updated firmware was only to add PIP & HDD recording.

Some Sony support staff are quite rude,they never get back within the 48hr period they state that they will,they also veer to the point it's my set up of my media files and there file format's,and I have been in the I.T business for over 24 years.

It's a simple fix an android app development team could fix easily,so why can't Sony?

UPDATE: After being on the phone today with Mohammed who was very helpful,he took control remotely of the set,he tried various settings to alter the screen display format ( something I had already tried previous) he was amazed that the options were not highlighted, Mohammed asked if I had anything still connected to the TV, such as Pioneer receiver etc,which was no. So a new set is being sent due to another screen banding issue which has occurred on this particular TV. Mohammed had the very same set available to him,and he could change aspect ratio in standard settings,which is weird, so he has also escalated again to higher tech support dev. Should my 4th x8507 set arrive with the working old firmware I'll be sure not to update at all. Mohammed believed it was not a firmware issue,myself,I'm certain it is,as the issue only occurred after an update as others in this thread have stated too,are we all wrong??

Sent from my Nexus 6P device

doomer87

Is there any news regarding this bug?