Join now - be part of our community!

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

Chroma28
Explorer

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

I have a Sony kd55x8509c android tv, I've had it just over a month now.
The setup is a sky hd box run to a hdmi splitter then one feed goes to the Sony and one to a Samsung tv
When both TVs are turned on the TVs display the same 1080i picture correctly, but if I put the Sony into standby mode the picture will stay ok,but every roughly 15 minutes the screen goes blank only for a split second then returns to normal then after a few seconds it does it again maybe once or twice. It then works ok for another 15 minutes but then the same cycle happens again. If I disconnect the hdmi lead from the Sony then fault does not occur.
If the Samsung tv is off and the Sony to is on the problem does not occur.
Before I got the android TV I had a lg and the Samsung and they works perfectly on the same system.
I can only put it down to the sony TV having activity on the hdmi port whilst in standby,is the same as when the device handshakes, it needs the hdmi routine to completely shut down until the TV is powered back on?

i have 3 hdmi splitters ( I've tried them all) and I can see by the LEDs on them that indeed it is the Sony hdmi port that's doing something whilst the TVs is in standby, the splitter shows the Sony seems to disconnect for a split second then reconnect thus the reason for a re handshake and this causes the Samsung to blank. 

I have rebooted the Sony and made sure it's the latest firmware, but no change. Google say it's a problem for Sony and Sony say to reboot the tv. 

94 REPLIES 94
profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

xx4LOMxx

Thanks for you input, however it's definitely not the cables.

I have a variety of different HDMI leads ranging from 0.75m to 15m all from different manufacturers and at different price ranges but none make any difference to the problem.

I've tried two HDMI splitters, one which I used for the last 6 years or so, and one brand new bought to try and solve this problem. I have 5 TV's and a projector and all combinations work faultlessly unless my 2015 Sony TV is connected to the splitter and in standby. This is the exact scenario we all have. It makes no difference what combination / make of TV we have connected to the splitter it just will not work with these 2015 Sony TV's.

I had hoped that this fault would be fixed with this update but maybe our reporting of it came too late this time. Maybe next months update will bring better news. If not mine is going back for a refund or a replacement from the Sony 2016 range if Sony want to keep me as a customer and they can confirm that it's not a problem with their new TV's.

I find it bizarre that the problem is not prevalent on any other manufacturers TV's that I can find by trawling the web, TV's we collectively own, 2015 or older, just these 2015 Sony's. I even own two older Sony's and they work perfectly with the splitter and have done for years.

profile.country.GB.title
Penpal1999

Hi

With all the other issues I've been having with my kd55x8509c, I decided to check the forum before buying my HDMI splitter. Now after finding this thread, I have decided to hold off for a bit.

These problems are making me so mad, I have decided to take more active action. I am going to write a review on every outlet that allows me to do so. I will direct everyone to this forum, and hopefully make a good video on YouTube showing the problems. I urge everyone to start doing this so Sony takes more action in fixing these problems before they move onto the next generation. Even if it does not help, it may stop others from making the same mistake.

profile.country.GB.title
robegian
Explorer

I have a similar issue with my Sony TV's HDMI (I'm the one whose thread in AVForums has been mentioned by m502cbk)

Recently I bought a 50W808c and I’m mostly satisfied with it — apart for two issues: a bit of clouding, and an annoying behaviour causing a malfunction to the other devices connected through HDMI to the same AV receiver where the 50W808c is connected to. More precisely, the audio hiccups when, in example, I play a CD on the player and the TV is OFF. 

The TV has to be turned ON to allow the CD player to function properly. The same thing occurs with any device connected to the AV receiver through HDMI (in my case, a CD/DVD player, a BD player, an Apple TV, a Western Digital WDTV Live): if the TV is turned off, the device’s audio hiccups.

I found that the problem starts exactly after 15 minutes the TV is turned off. On the AV receiver’s display, I notice that the HDMI OUT indicator flashes randomly while the audio hiccups, so it’s likely the 50W808c, after 15 minutes it’s off, perturbs the HDMI “network” shutting off and on repeatedly its own HDMI port.

This never occurred wth my previous TV connected to the same setup. I tried also connecting a friend’s 43” Samsung TV and it doesn’t show this kind of behaviour either — so it’s peculiar to the 50W808c.

I tried other HDMI cables, and I disabled all Bravia and CEC functions (on all devices, receiver included) — with no avail. I tried also different HDMI ports, even disabling ARC, but the past-15 minutes HDMI breakdown (when the TV is turned off) persists.

I had to connect the CD player’s audio through the coaxial port to be able to listen to CDs with the TV turned off (the problem occurs only when the device’s audio passes through HDMI).

Also, turning off the screen (action menu >>> picture off) while I listen to HDMI devices like the Apple TV (which is the only device freaking out during HDMI breakdowns even if I route its audio stream through the optical port) proved to be a sensible move: since the TV's electronics are still active, HDMI is not frantically switched off and on 15 minutes after the TV is turned off, so all is functioning properly. I'm wondering how high is the TV's power consumption in this mode though.

Anyway, without the Sony TV connected to the receiver's HDMI port (or with a different TV connected to that port — namely, I tried my old Sharp 32" and a new Samsung 43"), all devices in my setup work flawlessly. It's undeniably the Sony KDL-50W808C when turned off that is messing up with my setup.

michlord1
Explorer

I have the same kind of a problem.

I own a Sony kd55x8005c which is connected to my pc.

After several minutes in standby mode tv starts connecting and disconnecting from the pc which makes other connected displays go blank.

It seems that the tv has two sleep modes. In one it uses about 26W and the problem doesn't occur but then it goes down to 0.5W and the problem shows up.

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

michlord1

Thanks for confirming you also have this problem and with a different device connected via HDMI.

As you are using a PC could I ask you a question as I also use a Home Theatre PC connected via HDMI. Are you able to scale the screen size with the options under "Display" in settings as I can't . They are all grayed out when using the HTPC which is rather defeats the object of having them. 

Sony Support phoned me last week and I've confirmed that the latest update does not fix this snag when the TV is in standby. If fact other problems have come back which the previous update fixed!

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

@m502cbk

What graphics card does your HTPC have?

Do you have a dedicated graphics card or an APU?

What resolution are you outputting your HTPC at?

What Operating system are you using?

michlord1
Explorer

m502cbk

First I will tell you my hw configuration: Win7, AMD APU 5800k - max supported resolution is 1080p, HDMI 2.0 cable (I've also tested version 1.3).

I have a different interface language (Polish) so I might have misunderstood what you mean by "Display" settings.

This is a video of what I've got: https://youtu.be/kVfi4rBJahg

Or maybe you mean something like this: https://youtu.be/cS7t7I_ldQg

I wonder if the update slated for this month will solve the issue...

michlord1
Explorer

I've managed to find a workaround for this problem. It isn't very pretty though...

I did another factory reset. Then for each "accept terms and conditions" screen I chose "no".

Then I went to settings and disabled: epg update in sleep, bluetooth, wifi interface, software updates in sleep etc.

I also disconnected the ethernet cable. Lastly, I went to task manager and killed/disabled every app that could do some syncing in background such as: google play, software update, calendar and so on.

I no longer get a blinking screen on my pc but now I can't use any of the smart tv features offered by my tv 😞

profile.country.GB.title
rayben1
Explorer

That seems rather a drastic measure for this fault with worse symptoms at the end than you started with. Have you read my earlier posts which do not involve doing anything to firmware or settings, other than setting the tv to go into standby after 2 hours, then when you leave the tv and go to use something else plugged into one of the HDMI inputs via a splitter they will work normally, you just need to mute the sound and turn the picture off in the action menu, that is almost the same as putting it into standby anyway and saves power. It just means that if you do not use the remote for anything during 2 hours of viewing, a message will tell you that it is going into standby so you press any button on the remote. You can put it into standby after 4 hours if that is better for you.

profile.country.GB.title
m502cbk

Sorry I've been a bit slow in responding as my personal life has got in the way.

michlord1 & xx4LOMxx

Graphic card is a GTX630, windows 8.1, 1080P, connected via HDMI.

My problem is the options are greyed out in michlord1's second link. The TV states that "these options are not available with this type of input".I'm going to have another play with it tonight.

Found a simple work around with the HDMI switching problem when in standby. As my power socket is hidden behind a wall unit and not easily assessable I've used a remote control power socket. When I'm not using the TV I just switch the socket off by remote control. Much better than repeatably removing the HDMI lead

However this does not absolve Sony from finding the real solution to this problem.