Join now - be part of our community!

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

Chroma28
Explorer

Kd55x8509 Hdmi issue

I have a Sony kd55x8509c android tv, I've had it just over a month now.
The setup is a sky hd box run to a hdmi splitter then one feed goes to the Sony and one to a Samsung tv
When both TVs are turned on the TVs display the same 1080i picture correctly, but if I put the Sony into standby mode the picture will stay ok,but every roughly 15 minutes the screen goes blank only for a split second then returns to normal then after a few seconds it does it again maybe once or twice. It then works ok for another 15 minutes but then the same cycle happens again. If I disconnect the hdmi lead from the Sony then fault does not occur.
If the Samsung tv is off and the Sony to is on the problem does not occur.
Before I got the android TV I had a lg and the Samsung and they works perfectly on the same system.
I can only put it down to the sony TV having activity on the hdmi port whilst in standby,is the same as when the device handshakes, it needs the hdmi routine to completely shut down until the TV is powered back on?

i have 3 hdmi splitters ( I've tried them all) and I can see by the LEDs on them that indeed it is the Sony hdmi port that's doing something whilst the TVs is in standby, the splitter shows the Sony seems to disconnect for a split second then reconnect thus the reason for a re handshake and this causes the Samsung to blank. 

I have rebooted the Sony and made sure it's the latest firmware, but no change. Google say it's a problem for Sony and Sony say to reboot the tv. 

94 REPLIES 94
profile.country.IE.title
Lucabeer
Explorer

Image quality settings? Sure! I edited them a bit compared to the one I was using previously, and it's even better.

Mine are for the 43 inch version, so the panel might be slightly different for larger versions. Settings names might be slightly incorrect since my TV has the interface set to Italian.

FOR COMPLETELY DARK VIEWING ROOM:

Mode: Cinema Pro

Auto Picture Mode: NO

Brightness (backlighting): 15 is the value which gives the best black uniformity (no need to go lower), but I picked 17 to have a slightly brighter image, and it can be acceptable to use even a value of 20.

Color: 52 (a little bit more vivid than reference, but still natural looking)

Ambient light sensor: OFF

Contrast: 98 (with a THX disc, I still can barely distinguish the 8 white boxes)

Gamma: 0, although I tinkered a bit with +1 too and with very dark movies it may be more pleasing to some

Black level: 50 This value was calibrated using a THX disc, so that shadow detail gets fully visible (while still retaining a good black level). Surprising that the default value was the correct one!

Black adjust: off

Adv contrast enhancer: most definitely OFF

Hue: 0

Color temperature: Neutral (I like it best, although reference calibration should be "warm")

Live colour: medium (or low)

Sharpness setting to the neutral value (50), Reality Creation OFF, all noise reduction OFF: but I am using the Oppo 105D player which has Darbee processing and thus already adds some sharpening. If you have a player without Darbee, Reality Creation between 10 and 20 gives very good results.

Motionflow: TrueCinema

Film Mode: HIGH

FOR A MEDIUM LIT ROOM:

as above, but brightness (backlighting) between 40 and 50 and blacklevel raised to 55

I didn't play with the fine 10-point color calibration, since I don't have a calibrator tool and the Neutral setting suits me fine.

simwoods25
Explorer

many thanks for your time and effort . Tried them and can see a slight improvemt on my settings .

Right , lets get back on topic .

Hi,

Just wanted to add my findings to the thread...

I also have a KD55X8509 and have also discovered the HDMI ports causing me a headache when in standby. Exactly the same problem type of setup. Sky HD into 1x4 splitter, 3 other TV's plus the 8509 connected dropping out every 15 minutes when the 8509 is in standby. Disconnect the HDMI cable from the 8509 or leave the Sony switched on and everything is fine.

C'mon Sony, there is no need for the HDMI ports to be doing anything when in standby, sort it out....

Hi guys,

Just in case anyone else is having the same problems, mine seem to fixed!

I ordered a cheap replacement splitter:

Ironically the EDID dip switches don't seem to have any effect on the output no matter what position they are in, I guess that's why it's cheap. However, cheap or not (£15) it does seem to have stopped the dropouts on the other TV's when the Sony is in Standby!

I can now hit the off button on the Harmony, go up to bed and 'Watch Sky' with no irritating 2 second black screen at random intervals...Happy days :slight_smile:

Chris.
Irbravo8
Explorer

Did anyone ever resolve this problem?

Just bought one and I have exactly the same issue!

Sony support just telling me thats how it is, not very impressed.

HDMI cables in the walls etc, not an easy system to change, not even sure what to change to work with this new Sony TV..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

At this stage, issue remains unresolved:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2173825#M82

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Beefgrits
Explorer

I was excited to find that I'm not the only one. I have an XBR55x900c, but it is also an Android tv and also renegotiates HDMI handshake intermittently when in standby and using a secondary display. The splitter in my case is a dual-output av receiver and the secondary display is a projector. For the past year, I have been leaving the tv on to watch the projector, or disconnecting the hdmi cable from the tv every time.

Several contacts with support, including a forum post on the US site (where i seem to be the only person to have the issue) have gone nowhere until yesterday.

The problem is that the tv is still on while in standby, leaving the HDMI board active. Apparently, the tv enters a deep sleep after being in standby for a period of about 15 minutes, though it seems it doesnt stay in deep sleep as it blanks out again and again at the same interval, probably waking it right back up. I noticed the same will occur when just disconnecting the hdmi from the tv while its in standby, the other video will blank out immediately. This is an obvious product flaw that should still be addressed separately, in a perfect world.

Anyway, as a work around, there is a way to keep the tv from entering the deep sleep mode that causes the hdmi handshake renegotiation. On my model, there are 2 settings in the network settings to enable IP remote control, including power on while in standby. For this to work, the tv needs to remain always available, and therefore never enters deep sleep and never loses hdmi connection, and so acts as if it is on the whole time. Hope it helps you with your model.

profile.country.GB.title
rayben1
Explorer

Thank you, it has taken over a year but finally an answer to this rediculous problem with our Sony TVs. I tried your solution out yesterday and halelujah, it worked, hooray. I think that Sony should sack all of their so called, technical department and hire you instead, you would give a much better service, and not just read what comes up in front of them on a computer which has been put there by someone with no more clue than they have, I suppose though if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Thanks again for this.:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
Beefgrits
Explorer

I'm afraid I cannot take the credit for finding the solution, while I understood part of the reason for the issue, I never would have known this setting even existed if not for a support rep the other day asking around in their office. It seems Sony actually is aware of this issue, although not public about it and gave no information about fixing it. Seems the main issue is that it doesnt go to sleep immediately during standby, and keeps waking up when HDMI is active, even if CEC is off. I suppose persistence paid off in any case, I really didnt want to call about the same issue again, but all is good now, no issues since, about a year of this issue in my case too.

Irbravo8
Explorer

This is great news, sorted my problem perfectly!!

Now all we need is for Sony to sort the lack of support for Bluetooth headphones or Bluetooth Amplifier!

Dont suppose you have a fix for that too do you? :wink:

Thanks for the post Beefgrits, perfect.