Join now - be part of our community!

KD55XD8599 HDR auto select

Vactel
Explorer

KD55XD8599 HDR auto select

Can HDR automatic selection be turned off or defeated? I find HDR rendering on my KD55XD8599 to be dark with excessive backlight bleed with max brightness and contrast. I would prefer the option to stream sUHD from Amazon HDR. Unfortunately Amazon do not seem to offer sUHD as an option on their HDR content, but if the set did not auto set HDR I believe Amazon would automatically stream sUHD based on how my 2014 Samsung HU7500 (non HDR,) operates with Amazon HDR.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Just go to advanced image setting and switch HDR to off instead of Auto

Or just level down the brightness while in HDR

Vactel
Explorer

Thanks for your reply @rooobb I have set Picture>Auto Picture Mode >Off but Picture Mode>HDR video is still auto selected.

Is this the setting you meant or is there another image setting in "Settings" at the bottom of the HOME screen? Of course turning down brightness reduces the backlight bleed but makes the HDR picture even darker.

Vactel
Explorer

The extract below from Flatpanelshd reiew of the new ZD9 implies that Android 6.0 supports the feature to turn off HDR auto detect. My KD55XD8599 is still Android 5.1 so hopefully it will be upgraded to 6.0 soon.It appears that my HDR auto select issue may be solved with an upgrade to Android 6.0

From Flatpanelshd ZD9 review:

Before we wrap up and move on there is, however, one minor new feature in the picture settings menu that we would like to call attention to. In the picture menu there is now an option to turn off HDR on the TV - regardless of the video source. That may sound strange, especially given that Z9D is a high-end TV with proper hardware to reproduce HDR, but for mid-range TVs this is great news. This will finally make it possible to deactivate the HDR part of the signal on TVs that do not come close to having hardware to reproduce HDR, and just enjoy the 4K resolution instead. No more washed out "HDR pictures" on mid-range TVs – fingers crossed.