Join now - be part of our community!

KD65AF8 Picture colour changes watching Netflix

profile.country.GB.title
dat789bb
Explorer

KD65AF8 Picture colour changes watching Netflix

Hi! I have recently purchased this magnificent grand OLED TV and have been enjoying for the past 2 weeks. When watching Netflix (mainly) I noticed from time to time the colour changes to what looks like Sepia-ish or tri-tone colours. I had no idea what to do at first and definitely certain it is not a Netflix setting issue.

After fiddling with the remote control: Action Menu > Picture

I found that all I had to do was to just to exit the "Action Menu > Picture" menu by clicking "Back". A few seconds later, it will switch back to normal colours. I have not done any changes to anything doing this. Really strange!

Is this something that can be fixed?

See video here: https://youtu.be/KfidNDTe3Ec

29 REPLIES 29
profile.country.GB.title
EasterEEL

It’s almost as if a colour profile is constantly changing and flicking from one to another during a stream. This can happen with scene changes, but equally it will happen during a single scene/camera angle.

It will flicker from a warm hue to something much cooler.

I'm seeing exactly this on my AF9 using the the TV Netflix app Lost in Space series. If I exit the app completely then the problem can go away but it does return from time to time. So not a consistent problem. If I run the Netfix app from my SkyQ box  and watch the same series it doesn't happen. It doesn't happen when I stream from my NAS.

The TV Netflix app TV picture setting is set to Netflix Calibrated mode which I'm guessing is introducing this problem and maybe this article is of interest:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/netflix-calibrated-mode-what-is-it-and-how-can-you-get-it

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Lost in space is in Dolby vision so it cannot be compared to the version you watch on skyq since it doesn't support DV nor it applies the Netflix calibrated mode that should only valid for non DV content. It could be only related to some metadata problem in the content or some issue with the TV app or some issue with the DV player-led profile used on early version of Sony TVs

profile.country.GB.title
EasterEEL

Thanks for the reply. It explains why most of the content I watch on Netflix seems fine as no-doubt it is has not been DV. I'm assuming the Sony TV is not picking up Lost in Space is DV content and the calibrated mode should not be used. For convenience I often watch Netflix via SkyQ, but for some high quality films do like the TV app Netflix calibrated PQ.

A friend of mine has an LG C9 TV so will try and watch the Lost in Space episode on his TV Netflix app and see how it is handled.

My X90 does this exact colour hue flicker from warm to cool shades now and then. I have only noticed this on Netflix. The picture mode is set to Dolby Vision. It’s very annoying 

profile.country.GB.title
Riggie5454
Explorer

I have a similar problem regarding my Sony KD43XG8196 TV,  as " Win_88 " explained earlier in this post

he said

" This is perfectly normal when watching HDR content as it requires changing the colour profile of the screen to enhance the content you're watching (which it does), but the menus and other elements that aren't optimized for this colour profile will look strange (since they don't change accordingly to compensate for this effect).

So when using my firestick to watch 4K or Ultra 4K on say, the Disney+ channel. The playback looks perfect and must be playing in 4K so happy about that.
But when the program/Film has ended and you return to the TV homepage it is so dark you can barely see the cursor on the screen to actually select anything. It seems that if the TV switches to HDR 10 as it is set to AUTO in ADVANCED SETTINGS, it looks like it is stuck in this mode and will not return to standard settings as you exit onto the HOMEPAGE.

So I am left with dark menus on the Firestick or the sony TV homepage......... then sometime later or the next day it decides to switch back to " Normal brightness "   its quite annoying as I have no control over it.

I have asked Sony what I can do to fix this but I will swear it is a software problem that will not go away until someone at Sony fixes it.

profile.country.GB.title
Bandito74
Explorer

There is unbalance in RGB.Hope this helps you.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Hello all,

It appears my XG9005 now exhibits this problem with prime video Dolby Vision titles also now. 

Really, really frustrating. Exact same issue that Netflix DV exhibits where the gamma changes between camera switches or scenes. My Sony TV clearly isn't suited to DV. 

The fact prime video exhibits the exact same behaviour suggests it's the way DV is implemented in the TV. So not an App problem. ☹️

I so wish I could just disable DV in the bloody system menus and all this would be a none issue.

The only work around I've found is to use the PlayStation 5 to watch content where DV is forced on the TV as the PS5 doesn't support DV.

Nodster
Explorer

Hi all

My Sony XG9005 also has this issue and it only really started in the last few months with Netflix HDR content. It is so distracting and annoying. It never used to do this, so what gives?

I recorded a short clip that shows this issue perfectly. The snowy scenes in particular really struggle going from magenta tones to cyan to sepia. It's rubbish. Should I log a ticket with Sony support?

Hope this helps with explaining the problem.

https://vimeo.com/807303463 

Piscie
Community Team

@Nodster, seems really annoying! First make sure your TV up to date. Also check if there's any update for Netflix in google play store (Go to Google play store and search for Netflix and check if there's an update option)

You can also clear the TV's cached data (settings - Device Preferences - storage - internal storage - cached data then OK)

Hope it helps.

profile.country.GB.title
ade_m99
Explorer

I think I get this on my KD55A1

it started when they moved up to Android 9

it has to be a software bug because if I restart the tv, it goes away for a while

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p7ZvhvGm6DZZ46cM6.  In the video here you’ll see it shift several times, sometimes even in the same scene.

Dis anyone find a permanent fix or any way to flag this up to Sony?

I know my tv isn’t the newest but if it’s a software bug they really should fix that

sveything on my tv is up to date.  And I think it only happens on streaming services.  Definitely Netflix and Amazon