Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-42W806C Problems

Beliskner
New

KDL-42W806C Problems

We got a KDL-42W806C in July 2015 and our experience with it has been terrible. 

1. Randomly some features stop working, the most common being casting, it simply stops responding and the only way to correct it is to reboot the TV
  2. For a long time casting from Google Movies stopped working, the sound played really quickly, as the movie started then after 10-15 seconds the app crashed.
  3. In the latest update a bug has appeared where every now and then we will get the error "unfortunately, UsbMsgService has stopped". You can click OK as many times as you want but the only fix is to pull out the power cable. 
  4. We are considering leaving Virgin Media and switching to BT broadband only and using freesat, we rarely watch channels not on freesat anyway. Our house doesn't have a terrestrial aerial, weird but it is what it is. However, we cannot use All 4 or the other streaming apps because it requires us to enable YouView. We cannot enable YouView because that disables freesat and requires terrestrial. So we cannot use half the streaming features of the TV because of YouView disabling freesat. What the hell kind of stupid decision was this!? I also hear enabling it will disable the recording feature of the TV, I cannot actually test this though because we cannot enable YouView!

We've done the usual reboot and factory reset numerous times for various reasons of the last couple of years and it's frankley ridiculous. Point 4 really is the straw that broke the camels back for me, I always thought of Sony as being a respectable brand and reluctantly strayed away from Samsung and LG. After this I will never buy Sony, their software is shoddy and their business decisions are nonsensical.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There is no denying that there are many bugs/issues and quirky foibles with Android TVs. 

Point 1: Casting Not workings

There doesnt seem to be too many complaints about this on these forums - so maybe a factory reset may help - but then I note that you have done numerous factory resets in the past.  Has this issue always occured for you?  If not, other that firmware update on the TV, has anything else changed?  Could another factory reset work ?

Point 2: Casting from Google Movies

Instead of casting from another device, why not use the Google Movies inbuilt app on the TV - may save a world of hurt

Point 3: XX Service has stopped

This has been mentioned a few times, im hoping that when Sony resume rolling out the firmware, that this may be fixed - but unsure. 

Point 4: Satellite

Sony TVs do not have Freesat.  They do have a satellite tuner and connection however.  Either way, you are correct - Enabling YouView means you cannot use the satellite tuner or HDD recording facilities, but you get the use of All4 and ITV Player.  Disabling YouView you loose ITV Player and All4, but gain satellite tuner and HDD recordings.  As a cheap work around, you could purchase a NowTV box for the All4 and ITV Player and then simply leave YouView disabled.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Guff666
Explorer

Regarding Point 3 xxx service has stopped.

It hasn't been fixed.

My KDL-43W809C upgraded to 6.0.1 a couple of weeks ago and this problem immediately srarted to appear. as Quinnicus indicated, the only solution is to unplug.

Is there any way to downgrade the s/w?