Join now - be part of our community!

kdl-50w755c keeps auto dimming

profile.country.en_GB.title
matrigw69
Explorer

kdl-50w755c keeps auto dimming

Hi, my kdl-50w755c android tv keeps auto dimming. trying to watch walking dead and the dark scenes do an obvious light level adjustment. I have turned off the light sensor but nothing. It brightens up again when I hit the volume botton or something. the content is being played out of my sky box through HDMI. does anyone know anything about this problem? I have searched the forums and cant find anything...

35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lollypop11 wrote:

Well sony may call it as an intended feature but it is so annoying. Can we not ask sony to reconsider changing this back to normal where it doesnt dim the screen.

It can be turned OFF by setting Adv. Contrast Enhancer to OFF in the Advanced picture settings area.  Also have a look at the Black Adjust setting too.

Cheers

Rob67XL
Explorer

@Quinnicus This threat you can read that those options don't do anything. That's the whole point. Not even after the last update a few days ago. 

I also think Sony never reads this forum, otherwise they would react in some form. Useless.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rob67XL wrote:

@Quinnicus This threat you can read that those options don't do anything. That's the whole point. Not even after the last update a few days ago. 

I also think Sony never reads this forum, otherwise they would react in some form. Useless.

Fully aware of whats on this thread - but as you can also tell, certain picture setting adjustments has helped some people.  So I would rather take things case by case and not just jump to an automatic conclusion that nothing will work for everyone - as this is clearly not the case.

Has this problem been fixed by Sony? I still have the problem, my picture gets really dark and then noticeably lightens.  This is not related to the issue whereby auto dimming occurs when changing the volume which Sony say is a feature and not a bug.

I have used the fix by setting the Advanced contrast enhancer to ‘off’ and this seems to work, however when there is a firmware fix this gets reset and the picture starts auto dimming again.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I do not understand which fix you are waiting for this. After an upgrade there is a warning that some settings could be changed and the effect you are describing is the frame dimming activated by the supercontrast feature.

profile.country.GB.title
SRT3333

I’ve just seen this thread as I posted a query elsewhere about this. 
it’s just started on my Sony KD55A1 and is driving me nuts. The sensor makes no difference on or off  and the overall picture now seems to be a deal darker when showing various films. 
I am still in the 5 year guarantee period (Just) so what might I do to resolve this problem as it was not like this until about two weeks ago. Thanks for any help.