Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W805C - Android ate my telly

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
spacemonkey

KDL-50W805C - Android ate my telly

So I've had the TV since Christmas.  Had the random reboots, non responsive remote control, laggy TV menus... ETC ETC ETC

The TV updated to the latest firmware earlier this month and it appeared to fix a few things.

Today, I have a really really annoying issue which I suspect is Andriod software related.

My wonderful TV is locked onto HDMI4, the remote control is only able to turn the TV on, and to add insult to injury the buttons on the rear of the unit do not work either.

I cannot turn the TV off (without pulling the power), cannot hard reset (holding the power button on the rear), cannot change inputs or access the menus.

I thought I would reflash the firmware via USB but the TV says "You have the latest software, remove the USB and press OK"........

Does anyone know a way to hard reset or force flash this TV before it goes out of the window ?

TVM

Monkey

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
spacemonkey

I can confirm that my TV now works, BUT nothing appeared on screen (as per PM) so I'm not convinced it ran anything.  I waited and waited and then just pressed the power button on the remote.

However, I have a functional TV (for the time being) and a possible fix should it happen again.

Thanks v much Quinnicus you have made an annoying Sunday evening much better.

TVM

Monkey

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Im going to send some instructions to you via Private Message - unsure if it will work, but cant do any harm.  

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
spacemonkey

I'm willing to try anything at the moment.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your PM now and see how it goes.

profile.country.GB.title
spacemonkey

I can confirm that my TV now works, BUT nothing appeared on screen (as per PM) so I'm not convinced it ran anything.  I waited and waited and then just pressed the power button on the remote.

However, I have a functional TV (for the time being) and a possible fix should it happen again.

Thanks v much Quinnicus you have made an annoying Sunday evening much better.

TVM

Monkey

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your welcome.  Thanks for the feedback - your the second person today that has said the image which should have appeared but didnt.  Will get this checked for future purposes.

Im glad it worked though.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
spacemonkey

Seems this was NOT a one off.

TV remote and rear buttons stopped functioning again this afternoon.

Used the USB stick to fix it (again?) and keeping my fingers crossed that Sony has a fix on its way !

AndrewCarpenter
Explorer

Can you share the same instructions to me in private message, me also facing the same issue. Thanks in advance. 

profile.country.GB.title
spacemonkey

TV still suffering random lockups for no apparent reason.   Think there has been three firmware updates since I reported the issue, and non has resolved it.   Very nice TV/Display, shame the software is not to the same standard.

Bloody thing also turns itself on in the middle of the night, when I get up for work the front led light is lit, but the remote will not turn the box off.   You can only pull the power to shut it off.