Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

tleddy
Explorer

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

This TV is such a disappointment. In addition to the problems already mentioned I've having an annoying problem with satellite channels which I wonder if there's a fix for.

The TV has scanned Astra 2E and picked up the free to air channels. No issues there.

I sort the channels in my order of preference. The interface for doing this is a bit clunky, but it works.

Now for the really annoying part. A number of days later, the channels will revert to their original position when first tuned in. I've no idea why it's doing this. I haven't rescanned the satellite or touched the satellite tuning or channel order in any way. It's done this on me about 4 times in the space of three weeks.

Anyone have any ideas if this is a fault or just a setting I need to change?

I've sent a message to Sony support but as expected have received no response.

71 REPLIES 71
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

I have exactly the same problems. I wonder if you also have the "slow motion" during adjustmenets.

I believe that all problems start from a general malfunction inside Settings-Digital Settings.

Arrow keys respond almost 3 seconds after pressing making difficult or impossible to adjust, select, index or store.

It seems like Television has no processor power or internal memory use inside Settings-Digital Adjustments.

I also don't like that adjustment options are very very poor. There is no channel preview during arrange, there is no rename, there is no skip, there is no favorites. Everything that a normal receiver MUST have does not exist.

Ther should also be a software(app) for Android or PC to save channels, settings or make arrangements from this program and upload to TV. Simple things that exist for satellite receivers for more than 20 years.

profile.country.GB.title
jusw_uk
Explorer

I also have this problem with the "slowness", in my case trying to edit the satellite channels. This combined with other features such as not being able to type channel numbers to navigate quickly through the massive long channel list (1000+ entries), and always jumping back to the last non-deleted channel when deleting an additional channel, which frankly makes the whole channel editing process impossibly slow and infuriating. I haven't seen the "re-sorting" issue yet, but then I've only been using this TV for a a day or so.

The only workaround I can hope for is to export, edit and re-import via USB but there is only Windows software available to do the editing - does anyone have any tips for editing the sdb.xml file on Linux or links to resources which explain the format?

I can't believe that anyone would foist such a shonky UI upon their customers in in this day and age - but is it a Sony feature, or AndroidTV generic feature? (Sorry I am brand new to Android TV, although not Android, and haven't learnt to recognise the vendor-specific areas of the software yet).

I am using the newest software (3.179) on the KD-49X8305C.

profile.country.da_DK.title
bljensen
Explorer

On the German Sony homepage there is a program for editing and sorting the channels:

http://www.sony.de/support/de/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-tvhc/sony-editor-for-2015-models/KD-49X8305C

This is a very helpfull alternative. It also supports English language in the GUI

In the Setup menu of the TV you can export the channels to a USB.

Connect the USB to your PC and use the Sony Editor to re-sort the channels.

Then import from the USB to the TV.

I have my USB placed close to the TV in order to re-load the sorted channels when needed.

Good luck.

teilef
Explorer

I have a similar problem with my kdl43w808c.

Favourite satellite channels are removed from the favourite list a few minutes after being stored.

This is a very annoying bug because satellite channels are hundreds, and not being able to use the favourites makes it almost impossible to watch satellite TV.

davidryan34

Yeah I agree the software is very frustrating. I'm just wondering have you
downloaded the most recent firmware update and if so did it make any
change. A few weeks ago I brought down another satellite box to use with my
TV. I took the second satellite connection out of the TV and used this box
as my backup option. The option seems to be with the dual tuner
functionality as with just a single digital and satellite connection into
the TV the issues don't seem to occur. One or two channels I have deleted
have come back in but generally whatever channels I've moved have stayed in
their place. I'm afraid if I setup the dual tuner again all the work I've
done will be lost and the channel list will revert back to the default
number and place.

It's seems crazy that such issues are still occurring, hopefully these
issues get resolved soon.
Aeolus-THE-
Explorer

I would like to get to the position of actually finding the satellite channels.

TV was installed last week, but before Satellite Engineer had put in the Satellite dish, so initial setup was completed without a satellite feed.   Have disabled Youview as seems to be the only advise on the Support pages, but not actual help on tuning the Satellite channels.  Having disabled YouView an get to a Preferred Satellite Feed page, but unable to select any options.

Do I need to do a full reset to re-scan for Satellite input?

Unfortunately this is my parents TV and I am now back home 100+ miles away so loathe to get them to do something drastic if this loses them a working TV alebit limited to the Freeview channels.

Thanks in advance

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

• I don't know if your tv set is similar to my KD-55X8508C but before doing a search possibly you have to select Digital Tuner, watch a DVB-T channel and then go back to Settings, Channel Setup, Satellite Search. If you go straight to satellite search there is an error of no Signal Found.(Android bug that happens first boot or after reboot)
  • If your satellite dish is centered-alligned by the technician, the only thing you must do is :

http://sony-eur-eu-en-web--eur.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/69211/~/how-do-i-tune-or-retune-...

• If you see only ASTRA satellite before search, this is not a problem because after beggining search, your indication will change automatically to your satellite

davidryan34

You should be able to scan all the available satellite channels and they
would load in under the general satellite heading/app. You don't need to
do a reset, just go into your satellite channel options from the settings
tab and select the satellite/type of scan etc. I don't have Freeview as I'm
in the ROI. The setup for that may be a little bit different as your using
different firmware. There might be videos online which show the setup
although from what I've seen so far, the setup information is quite limited
via the Sony site.
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

For all having this issue try this:

https://community.sony.gr/t5/televisions/solution-for-satellite-channels-re-sorting-itself-automatic...

It worked for me

For just 5 days

Aeolus-THE-
Explorer

Thanks, I will talk them thru the various help and report back.

(but after the rugby... there would a family fall out if I break the telly on a 6 Nations weekend).