Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

tleddy
Explorer

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

This TV is such a disappointment. In addition to the problems already mentioned I've having an annoying problem with satellite channels which I wonder if there's a fix for.

The TV has scanned Astra 2E and picked up the free to air channels. No issues there.

I sort the channels in my order of preference. The interface for doing this is a bit clunky, but it works.

Now for the really annoying part. A number of days later, the channels will revert to their original position when first tuned in. I've no idea why it's doing this. I haven't rescanned the satellite or touched the satellite tuning or channel order in any way. It's done this on me about 4 times in the space of three weeks.

Anyone have any ideas if this is a fault or just a setting I need to change?

I've sent a message to Sony support but as expected have received no response.

71 REPLIES 71
davidryan34

Unfortunately the channel editor is not usable here in Ireland. The option
to export/transfer is greyed out and for some reason hasn't been enabled.
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi there

You must insert a usb flash if you want to see this enabled.

As I told this is not an absolute solution. If, after doing what I suggested, you browse between the 100 channels you have chosen, you will see again many channels above 101 but, at least in my case, they do not "disturb" previous 100.

I also do not enter channel adjustments because in a very mysterious way this causes strange behaviour. For example changing channels with PROG+/- in DVBS suddenly they are "mixed" with DVBT channels or pressing a number for DVDS channel eg No1 the channel appears but with another number eg No200. Very very crazy.

What I believe the problem is?

This is a matter of USER associated permissions in TV Input Framework. The "app" that handles user interaction. Yes a user can select an option, this option seems to be selected, but THIS IS NOT SAVED in settings. The problem exists in settings, not in apps.

I don't know if this is Sony responsibility or an Android Providers failure to give a working model.

They MUST coorporate to fix. This is impossible to go on for that a long time and they both "whistle"to birds over their heads.

idledown
Explorer

This has to be the worst software I have seen, very unresponsiv, sluggish and buggy. I bought this TV on account it had it's on sat' tuner but I am seriously considering going back to a terrestial TV signal until I get a FreeSat box as the inbuilt sat tuner is just so bad 😞

This will be the last Sony TV I purchase. Never been so disappointed with a Sony product as I am with this TV.

davidryan34

You're 100% spot on. I haven't had as many problems recently as I have
another box set up with the TV. One of the satellite feeds is connected
into the TV but the channels are still disappearing from time to time. It's
not as bad as having all the inputs in use, but it shouldn't be happening.
There is no sign of any firmware to fix it from Sony or even an
acknowledgement that there is a problem. When I did email the issues to
Sony I was advised to email in again and to give more detail even though
all this information had been provided. I found the Customer Service to be
unhelpful, they wanted me to send in loads of data rather than they be
proactive. I'm sure I wasn't the first person to raise this as an issue.

I haven't tried the editor yet that other users have mentioned previously,
I'm apprehensive about wasting more time on this flawed system as I've
wasted enough so far. I live in hope that the issue will be solved sooner
rather than later.
idledown
Explorer

For the fourth time today I am re-turning the TV because all the channels disappear as soon as I back out of the channel set up menu. I bought a rubbish "Goldstar" Sat Tuner for £6 off e-bay once, no instuctions, looked like it came out of a kinderegg but was far superior to anything this TV has to offer. 

Will contact Sony when I am not so annoyed! 

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

There is NO SOLUTION for this problem. Do not try and re-try. This is something that makes all of us that use sat tuner very angry.

Just do a channel search, do not arrange channels and after that make a favourites list.

Do not even arrange-move those favorites channels. Leave them as is.

This is the only solution for our nerves for the time being.

Japanese manufacturers and programmers are living in another wolrd far far away from us.

They are lost in translation of our languages. They know nothing about problems and they continue whistling to birds above their heads.

Sorry I forgot the excellent app called Japanese Google Input. The best app in the Galaxy and the Universe.I am very happy tthis app is included in my TV set:smileywink:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

No one has posted in this topic for a while, however if you are a UK based person and willing to test a 'possible' workaround, can you please private message me.  A factory reset of the TV will be required though.

Thank you.

davidryan34

I gave up on it, bought a FreeSat box instead. Sorry can't help, based in
Ireland.
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I also gave up on the crappy TV integration in the Sony, see here.

davidryan34

I read your detailed review and was very impressed with your depth of
knowledge. It's a pity there wasn't a similar article available or online
before I bought my x85c after Christmas last year. One of the reasons I
bought the TV was that I'm a big fan of Android and the open source
platform and that having the dual satellite tuners and single Saorview
input, I thought I'd have everything working perfectly on the one device.
If I was to do it again I would have got a Wetek Play device and teamed it
with a Samsung 4K TV. Hopefully I'll have my current TV for a good few more
years but next time I'm searching for a replacement model I'll probably go
for a Samsung, LG or one of the rising Chinese makes like Xiaomi (assuming
they keep getting better) Sony will be further down the list after the
letdown of this TV and won't be easily forgotten.

Cheers,

David