Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

tleddy
Explorer

KDL-50W809C - Satellite channels re-sorting themselves

This TV is such a disappointment. In addition to the problems already mentioned I've having an annoying problem with satellite channels which I wonder if there's a fix for.

The TV has scanned Astra 2E and picked up the free to air channels. No issues there.

I sort the channels in my order of preference. The interface for doing this is a bit clunky, but it works.

Now for the really annoying part. A number of days later, the channels will revert to their original position when first tuned in. I've no idea why it's doing this. I haven't rescanned the satellite or touched the satellite tuning or channel order in any way. It's done this on me about 4 times in the space of three weeks.

Anyone have any ideas if this is a fault or just a setting I need to change?

I've sent a message to Sony support but as expected have received no response.

71 REPLIES 71
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @Ivo-73

The problem is that the old sdb.xml keeps information about your region - country.

When importing this back to TV then the Country information goes back to your TV.

I am not sure in your case if this is the cause but happened to my TV.

sdb region info.PNG

Unfortunately I had to scan again, export to USB and make a new list. And I used the SDBEditor from svansvan, not the Sony Editor 1.17

profile.country.GB.title
RussellRay
Explorer

Hello fellow sufferers

We too - with our Sony kdl50w8 - have the same problem of the satellite channel list reverting to default.

I use the SonyEditor USB import method now and again
but have (almost) come to terms with there being no permanent solution.
As soon as the SBD.xml is imported, location and language are reset according to this file.

We live in Alsace France and the family language is German.
So opening the SDB.XML file shows country = FRA and language = deu.

What would happen, I wonder, if in this file I manually changed these entries ?

I'm reluctant to delete them altogether or just guess at alternatives.
So I should be grateful if someone who has gone all the way back to factory dfault
and chosen "Other" as location
could inform me what their SDB.XML file shows in these positions..

Best regards

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @RussellRay

This is how it looks :

sdb_other.PNG

I don't know if @svansvan SDBEditor can be used to delete region and save this. You can try his software but if it works then you must not use SonyEditor or SetEditSony to edit again the same file.

My only issue using a non region sdb.xml back to TV, is that I must re-adjust my region's local time.

Also the deleted channel reappear issue is not solved.

profile.country.UA.title
svansvan
Contributor

https://gyazo.com/74338f574b5367d1fe41d1a0e04307ff

Hi, you can change anything

If change in menu->View->Technical - you can change more than all :slight_smile:

--

deleted channel reappear issue

If delete channel - channel reappear

If channel mark as deleted - everything will be fine

and channel can labeled as hidden.

https://gyazo.com/cedc251cc798ff5585fe506a0c72be33

---------------------------------------------------------------
KD-55x9305c + SPS4 1208b
profile.country.IT.title
Ivo-73

Well, the technical service called me to confirm that this issue will be solved with the forthcoming software update.

Now we just have to wait if this will be true or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ivo-73

Was the person from technical service from Sony?  Or third party company?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

No they will not fix. Same answer was given to me more than 10 times since December 2015.

Next firmware....and next firmware ....and next firmware..............

The worst thing of all was that they did not believe that this was a software bug and they tried to persuade me to send TV for repair. I was sending them e-mails with links from UK forums, links from German forums but nothing.

Now they are doing the same with an issue on my new XPERIA. To give the device for repair because of an annoying notification (Mobile Data Disabled) :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: An 100% known Android bug.

I promised myself that I will never buy a Sony device again. Got bored with them

profile.country.IT.title
Ivo-73

They called after I sent an email asking to replace my device with a fully functional TV since I bought this one right because of the sat tuner.

Holiergrail
Explorer

Do you happen to know how to change the country after you have installed and tuned the channels? I'm asking this because Sony is restricting the possibility to alter the channel list in my country. The work around so far has been to change the tv location country to something else like Denmark, sort the channel list how I like and then change the country back. Now I can't seem to find how this can be done anymore. Earlier there was this app install 1-2-3 or something built in but not anymore in Marshmallow. Any workarounds?

profile.country.IT.title
Ivo-73

Well, it seems that after the latest software update the TV is now working properly.

Does it happen to you as well?