Join now - be part of our community!

KODI with 24p and 3D on 2015 Android TV

pavelpl
Explorer

KODI with 24p and 3D on 2015 Android TV

Hi guys,
On polish community page, for more than 1.5 year, people have been complaining about lack of 3D button in KODI. I've done some research and found pre-installed application called PictureModeControl (PictureModeControl.apk). I've decompiled this app and found out that it lists applications that are recognized as "Application (Video)" = they have 3D switch in Action menu and 24p in picture settings. All Sony had to do, in order to allow 3D & 24p for KODI, was to add "org.xmbc.kodi" to that list. As far as I remember they had at least three opportunities to do so, as they were at least 3 software upgrades.

To the point: I've created custom build of KODI (which is based on KODI fork called SPMC). To be recognized as Video app I've used one of names listed in this PictureModeControl app. I haven't release this build yet, because I'm not sure whether I can use some company's package name or not... Is it legally protected? Or it is considered just "some string"? To be honest I'm not impersonating their app (which in fact does not even exist... I think that Sony added some package-names for the future, so that they (or some external company) can release some app without neccesity to release SW update). What I'm certain of: there is a 3D switch in action menu and possibility to turn on 24p in pictre settings. 

I've posted this not to brag that I have better KODI etc. (as soon as I'm sure I can release it, I will!). I just want you to know that SONY made a CLEAR DECISION NOT TO MEET THE EXPECTATIONS OF THEIR USERS - as we can see I was able to enable 3D for KODI, which means Sony could do it long time ago - they JUST DID NOT.

Tested on two 55W809C with the latest Android update (from November 2016).

Have a nice day!

EDIT: Here are some photos as a proof: http://imgur.com/a/Gkgrr

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
39 REPLIES 39
profile.country.GB.title
John_Keats

All Sony had to do, in order to allow 3D & 24p for KODI, 
was to add "org.xmbc.kodi" to that list

Is it possible to do it on your own and install modified PictureModeControl.apk ?

pavelpl
Explorer

It is not possible due to Android security policy. Whenever you try to install other version of any application that is already intalled, Android compares certificates that were used to sign APKs. If they don't match, it simply won't allow to install it.

I think that you can bypass it with root -> which we do not have :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Theballboy
Explorer

Would really be interested in finding out whether you do get to release this or not.  in the meantime im just using the tv side view app which has dedicated 3D button which works. 

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Interesting. Here is what I have so far. This is true for Kodi and the Video app. If I understood correctly, you say that refresh rate does not change automatically, but there is a 24p setting in the Action menu for the Video app? Will have to check that.

Still there is the problem that PAL video won't play smoothly at either 24 or 60Hz.

profile.country.GB.title
Theballboy
Explorer

No im saying that there is a dedicated 3d buttom in the tv side view app remote that can be used in absentia of one in quick action menu. Cant comment on 24fps

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Sorry, my question was for @pavelpl. Should have quoted...

profile.country.GB.title
John_Keats

If you watch tv, youtube, netflix, video app 24p mode is active in action menu. In Kodi and other video apps this mode is disable.

profile.country.GB.title
John_Keats

To be recognized as Video app I've used one of names listed in this PictureModeControl app

See list:

https://community.sony.pl/t5/telewizory/dla-sony-xd9305-oczekuje-dzialan-i-odpowiedzi/td-p/2280428/p...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I just tried it. The 24p option only tries to detect 24p and turns on Cinema pro picture profile. I don't know whether this works properly for Kodi as the TV is fixed at 60Hz and the system can't know the source fps.

Also Netflix and others don't switch to 24p. The display is stuck at 60Hz in case of Android TV on Sony.