Join now - be part of our community!

KODI with 24p and 3D on 2015 Android TV

pavelpl
Explorer

KODI with 24p and 3D on 2015 Android TV

Hi guys,
On polish community page, for more than 1.5 year, people have been complaining about lack of 3D button in KODI. I've done some research and found pre-installed application called PictureModeControl (PictureModeControl.apk). I've decompiled this app and found out that it lists applications that are recognized as "Application (Video)" = they have 3D switch in Action menu and 24p in picture settings. All Sony had to do, in order to allow 3D & 24p for KODI, was to add "org.xmbc.kodi" to that list. As far as I remember they had at least three opportunities to do so, as they were at least 3 software upgrades.

To the point: I've created custom build of KODI (which is based on KODI fork called SPMC). To be recognized as Video app I've used one of names listed in this PictureModeControl app. I haven't release this build yet, because I'm not sure whether I can use some company's package name or not... Is it legally protected? Or it is considered just "some string"? To be honest I'm not impersonating their app (which in fact does not even exist... I think that Sony added some package-names for the future, so that they (or some external company) can release some app without neccesity to release SW update). What I'm certain of: there is a 3D switch in action menu and possibility to turn on 24p in pictre settings. 

I've posted this not to brag that I have better KODI etc. (as soon as I'm sure I can release it, I will!). I just want you to know that SONY made a CLEAR DECISION NOT TO MEET THE EXPECTATIONS OF THEIR USERS - as we can see I was able to enable 3D for KODI, which means Sony could do it long time ago - they JUST DID NOT.

Tested on two 55W809C with the latest Android update (from November 2016).

Have a nice day!

EDIT: Here are some photos as a proof: http://imgur.com/a/Gkgrr

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
39 REPLIES 39
profile.country.PL.title
hctomi

https://bit.ly/2rwy63f
profile.country.US.title
shaddowlink
Explorer

@jasones sadly I cant install it. I get no error, my Install button was greyed out aswell, the multitasking "trick" worked for that, but after my TV only says "App was not installed!". WhatsApp Image 2018-05-09 at 20.19.19.jpegWhatsApp Image 2018-05-09 at 20.19.19(1).jpeg

-------------- EDIT !!!! ( PLEASE READ)-------------
Found a fix: The multitasking workaround ended always in the error "App not installed" for me. I was able to get the install button showing by opening and closing the action menu aswell, resulting in me being able to install this version.

Everything works! 3D,4K,HDR,...and the best everything still works inside of the Plex addon making this a solution for people who use Plex aswell. Even direct playback works for h265 inside of the Plex addon, not even the native app does that (You have to select maximume remote quality and direct playback in plex settings aswell as enable h265 for 4k direct playback and for 3d movies aswell, transcoded 3d does not work).

I am so happy now :), only thing I am worried about is: Who maintains this version? Can you explain what you exactly did? so others can recreate it once a update is needed to mask this as a Sony app, instead of having to rely on someone to update it?

profile.country.PL.title
hctomi

What you need is to change the app name to the one given in PictureModeControl.apk  in tv e.g.

org.xmbc.kodi --->com.gaikai.client

Sony could simply add org.xmbc.kodi to the list but they don't do it

com.sony.dtv.browser.ceb 

com.sony.dtv.hybridcastplayer

com.amazon.aiv.eu 

com.sony.dtv.vudu 

com.crackle.androidtv 

com.sony.rvu 

com.wasu.wasutvcs 

jp.co.sony.emcs.IpSyncDemo 

com.sony.dtv.photosharingplus 

com.sony.dtv.osat.album

com.sony.dtv.musicslideshow

com.sony.dtv.networkapp.wifidirect 

com.sony.dtv.osat.video 

com.sony.dtv.bivlinfo 

com.sony.dtv.apkinstaller 

com.sony.dtv.customersupport 

com.sony.dtv.quicksetup 

com.sony.dtv.networksettings 

com.sony.dtv.homenetwork

com.sony.dtv.HomeTheatreControl

com.sony.huey.dlna.renderersettings

com.sony.dtv.braviasyncsettings 

com.sony.dtv.seconddispsetting

com.google.android.apps.mediashell 

com.sony.dtv.tvinput.tuner 

com.sony.dtv.tvinput.external  

com.sony.dtv.tvsettingsbroadcast 

com.sony.dtv.irblaster

com.sony.dtv.aribapp.broadcastsettings

com.sony.dtv.hybridcastservice 

com.sony.dtv.hddmgr

com.sony.dtv.shopsettings 

com.sony.dtv.systemapp

com.sony.dtv.apksinstaller.service 

com.google.android.videos

com.sony.dtv.softwarelicense 

com.sonyericsson.drmdialogs 

com.sony.dtv.touchpad.tutorial 

com.sony.dtv.timers

com.sony.dtv.systemupdate 

com.sony.dtv.recommendationservice 

com.sony.dtv.irbrecommendation

com.sony.dtv.networkrecommendation 

com.sony.dtv.woprecommendation 

com.sony.dtv.osat.music 

com.google.android.youtube.tv 

com.sony.dtv.sonyselect 

com.google.android.feedback

com.google.android.music 

com.android.vending 

com.google.android.gms

com.google.android.speech.pumpkin

com.google.android.sss.authbridge 

com.android.tv.settings 

com.google.android.play.games 

com.sony.dtv.devicereg  

com.sonyericsson.dlna.dtcpplayer 

com.gaikai.client

com.sony.dtv.hbbtvlauncher 

com.sony.dtv.rcplayer 

com.sony.dtv.actvilaplayer

com.gameloft.android.HEP.GloftRC35

com.sonyericsson.dlna 

com.netflix.ninja 

com.amazon.aiv.us

com.sony.dtv.tvplayer 

com.sony.dtv.configsettings 

com.sony.dtv.imanual 

com.sony.dtv.demomode 

com.sony.dtv.multiscreendemo

com.sony.dtv.browser.webappruntime

com.updatelogic.netready.da.svc 

com.google.android.backdrop 

com.google.android.katniss

com.google.android.leanbacklauncher

profile.country.GB.title
jasones

@hctomi beat me to it :grin: 
To be more precise you need to change Package Name of the application. For that, you need to compile Kodi yourself with this package name. That means you need to have some Linux distribution with all officially required dependencies installed, then you need to change Kodi config to contains new package name and then run build. 

Here are the official instructions: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/docs/README.android

I will update it once it comes out of Alpha phase into the final release. If somebody notices so before me, please shoot me a message.

________________________________________________________________________You can download the latest final version of Kodi 18 Leia with the support for Sony 3D 24p playback here: https://bit.ly/2GsPYo9
profile.country.PL.title
hctomi

Thx for this additional explanation, I'm not from IT :wink: to knows this in detail.

Great job.

profile.country.GB.title
jasones

I'm really glad that it is working for you guys, it is awesome to have your feedback.

@shaddowlink also thanks for the working features confirmation! It works better than expected indeed. It is awesome to know that you can achieve better quality than with official Plex application :grin:

________________________________________________________________________You can download the latest final version of Kodi 18 Leia with the support for Sony 3D 24p playback here: https://bit.ly/2GsPYo9
profile.country.US.title
shaddowlink
Explorer

Thank for the answers, the github link does not work though, you just should link to the docs and then click on readme.android. I have no idea why the direct link spits out 404

Also another question. I can nativly play back 4k h265 files inside of the plex addon, but the kodi resolution (in the settings) is greyed out at 1080p, not adjustable. Only thing I can say for sure is that the TV detects a HDR playback, but is it in 4k or not ?

profile.country.GB.title
jasones

I fixed the link, apparently, there was a space at the end of the link, so it did not work.

Concerning the resolution, try to press INFO button a see for yourself in what resolution your TV currently is.

Can I also ask you about your use-case of PLEX? Do you have your content on some PC which would be hard to access from Kodi? 

For me, the most convenient is to access my NAS directly from Kodi or to stream using online sources.

profile.country.US.title
shaddowlink
Explorer

I'll send you a DM regarding that :yahoo:

profile.country.GB.title
FearL0rd
Explorer

@jasoneswhere do I go to change the package name?

Im able to do all the steps to compile the apk but I dont know how to change the package name