Join now - be part of our community!

Latest Youtube updates does not allow account switching?

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Latest Youtube updates does not allow account switching?

Has anyone noticed this, the new version is ok. But how can Google exclude such a vital feature? My brand account has all my subscriptions!

21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

Moderator needs to escalate this to Sony.

I didn't buy a premium android tv to have this sort of experience.

I want a premium app. The same I bought the tv with, and with updates.

not a cheap excuse.

The even lied "The new Youtube"

New where?? it's a freakin 7 yrar old site. I am just beyond myself!

OFF with the head of whom did this!

I am disgusted, so is everyone on Shield TV foruns, Nexus, and Google products page.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sonyfan0012

Sony is aware of some of the issues within the YouTube app.  However like many things within apps this is up to the app developer to sort out

There is a thread on the YouTube forums about all this and account switching.  Suggest having a read and replying on thier forums:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/1fMhVozi9Lg

Also, you can contact Google/YouTube themselves via:

https://www.youtube.com/androidtv_feedback

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

sonyfan0012 wrote:

New where?? it's a freakin 7 yrar old site. I am just beyond myself!

7 years old, now.. I have read other people saying that this is the same interface the PS3 and X360 were using 7 years ago indeed. I remembered differently, so I have checked. This is how the YouTube app was looking in 2014:

A piece of junk. Also quite similar to v1.3.11 (the previous version) on Android TV.

As I remembered (but in this case I might be slightly wrong) that YouTube on consoles has got the current interface just a couple of years ago.

Still, could I kindly ask why you dislike the new interface so much? Missing features apart, obviously. Like the lack of ability to set the resolution (not that it was giving the max available resolution for the videos before) and the missing infamous channel selection.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

Do you work for Google?
Do you like to play devil's advocate, don't you?

You're the only one though the whole of the internet speaking kindly of
this thing that they trying to pull on us.

Why do I dislike?!?

Because it looks cheap!
Because takes out our exclusivity as Android TV users! Apple would never do
that.
Because it does not blend with the Material Design UI.
Because it's slow, sluggish and there's stuff hidden that makes it hard to
like videos.
Impossible to control resolution.
Videos start playing ugly -- at 480p ...

It was made for touch or cell phones in its conception, so everything is
huuuuge. The side bar and the settings icons are huge.
I feel as if watching on a huge tablet! But obviously the video thumbnails
are tiny so they would fit the tablets screen! So things are even worse!
How a out the system sounds? LOL ...

I can't comprehend how are u defending their approach?!?

The YouTube app for Android TV needed just some tiny retouches!
1 . HDR
2. Translucent red playbar
3. Submenu for subscriptions.

Just it.

It feels high end! It's possible to browse fast. Plays 4k videos as fast as
it loads.
Looks good, looks sleek. It was worth the $$$!
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

sonyfan0012 wrote:
Do you work for Google?
Do you like to play devil's advocate, don't you?

Me? I hate Google and its sorry excuse of an OS, a collage of open source pieces, with all my guts! It's just that it gets a bit annoying seeing people complaining about the "new" interface (you're not alone, don't worry) while the YouTube app on Android TV has many other, worse problems.

I have been waiting for HDR on YouTube since November, when I've bought the TV. First we had to wait for Android TV 7.0. We have got Android TV 7.0 with vp9.2 support at the end of May and the YouTube app was the same. So let's wait for the YouTube app update. It came out for LG, with HDR working and then the v2.0 for Android TV leaked. But only the x86 version. So let's wait even more for the ARM release! It gets released (v2.00.17), leaked in apk mirror, I sideloaded it immediately and neither HDR, nor the channel selection were working. 1440p was the max resolution.  So I uninstalled it and waited even more. v2.0018 leaked, but only for ARM64. So I kept waiting. Finally v2.00.18 rolls out and it has the same identical issues of 2.00.17?!?!

And as if it wasn't enough, we get people highjacking every single YouTube thread, also with false pretenses (7 years old interface.. Please!), complaining about the interface, which is objectively better, and at least in ATV2 (the Bravia TV with Android 7.0) even snappier, than the one of v1.3.11. Just the disappearance of that HUGE, horrid red rectangle when pausing/going into the options was a reason good enough for me to upgrade. Not to mention that we can turn on the nerd stats on the fly, now.

So no, I'm not playing the devil's advocate either. I'm counterposing my interests to yours, because I don't want to go back to that dog ugly v1.3.11 interface. I hated it.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You're the only one though the whole of the internet speaking kindly of
this thing that they trying to pull on us.

You forgot about me, right? I read the threads on the forums and there are voices for and against the new user interface. What is true however is that you have been hijacking all the threads to spread your propaganda. I fully agree with everything @Jecht_Sin just wrote.

The new YouTube app is BS for sure, but as already mentioned several times there are much more severe issues than the UI and looking at Android TV in its interity and what Sony made out of it, you will find tens of much more severe inconsistencies so that YouTube 2.0 actually becomes a pleasure to use.

I would currently call Android TV a dead horse (even despite the recent announcement of Android TV O). Just look at where it gets deployed? Philips and Sony (or actually MediaTek) can't get it right (and their market share goes towards 0), other bigger brands avoid it alltogether. You basically find the OS on cheap Chinese boxes (taking aside nVIDIA with their SHIELD TV maybe). Google therefore does not care a lot about the platform, clearly prefering their Chromecast device, and even competing Smart TV platforms. It clearly demonstrates where Android TV stands today.

profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

LOL omg hahahahaha you like the " NEW" interface hahaha. Do you like it
since when? When you first used it in a cheap dvd player or Xbox?...

Congratulations. Youre the only one on the internet.

You even hate the red playbar from the version 1.3 which I also disliked a
bit but now I learned to love! -- things can always get worse! And they did!

What's the problem with me posting on both forum topics? You have any
problem bro? I will post as much as I want -- you seen worried, very much,
about the ponts I am giving . I am almost sure you're from Google.

I exposed my point, you also did yours. This is settled.
profile.country.BR.title
sonyfan0012

Uh, what am I to say? Perhaps...? "Doh!"

Save Homer Simpson! Save Harambee! Save YouTube 2.0. The "new" kid on the
block lol.... Ye, very new.... My cheap DVD has it even before my 55hx820
lolllll.

You go, Google!

Ye, right...
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Reality is that people mostly complain about missing features like brand accounts, 4K, HDR... not so much about the UI where in fact some people like it. But this is always a matter of taste also.

I wouldn't write a review like that if I was a Google employee..

You just need to learn that there are also other opinions around.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I like the new interface.  In regards to UI design, I think searching could be designed easier for text input.  But yeah - I like it.