Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

SOLVED
palmeri8145
Explorer

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

Hi all - thanks for all the informative information I have found on this community site.

I have recently purchased the above tv and I am using it with a (UK) BT Ultra HD package. The output of the box is 2160p50 and I have set it to 10 bit colour.

Generally speaking I am very happy with the telly but I am experiencing a bug which sounds similar to the "Screen Format: Full" issue reported on another thread.

After a period of watching TV (normally longer extended periods of say 2 hours), the picture starts to judder and the "Screen Format: Full" message flicks on and off. The only way to recover this is to switch the telly off and on again which seems to allow the telly to "resync". This problem happens *every* day when watching TV at least once.

It is not a problem with the BT box as when I switch that on and off the picture problem does not clear.

I have tried different 4K related settings on the telly / BT box but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else noticed this with the TV ?

Thanks,

Ian

279 REPLIES 279
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

So I have SkyQ being installed on the strength of this promised update. Now I am being told it does not fix the problem? Holy crap how imcompent can Sony's software team be? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

In many cases the FW update has resolved the problem, or reduced it somewhat.  However there are still many cases that the juddering remains - this is currently under investigation.  So the advice is still to update your TV with the new FW if you experience this juddering problem.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

In many cases the FW update has resolved the problem, or reduced it somewhat.  However there are still many cases that the juddering remains - this is currently under investigation.  So the advice is still to update your TV with the new FW if you experience this juddering problem.

Fixed I can accept, resolved somewhat is something I cannot. You have done an amazing stellar job keeping us all up to date and we all really appreciate it. However I cannot believe that this is an issue in the first place. Where is the quality / bug testing? 

geeebeee72

Firmware updated, factory reset done. My TV has started juddering again.

I am now in touch with the company that I purchased from for a refund. Failing that, I'm going to the small claims court. I'm also now seeing strange line block ghosting shapes on block colours that werent there before.

It's just one thing after another and £2,000 for a faulty TV is ridiculous after 3 months of use.

IMG_2057.jpgIMG_2055.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
mafletc50

Just now confirming after hard resetting it with v3509 firmware installed. My KD55X8599 is still juddering. The hdmi is set to enhanced but still happens with set to standard also. 

What do we do next?? 

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

I am not sure where you are getting your information from ..

The Product Manual for the KD-65x8509C clearly says at the top of page 20 that the TV supports 4096x2160p at 50 / 60 Hz   And 3840x2160 at 50/60 Hz.. Maybe you could look into it a little more ???

original.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

I was asked to post Videos and information here of the Juddering issue that is still occuring after the Firmware update posted on the 30Th by a technical adviser on the Sky Q forums

I understand sony are now aware of the issue. They called me this evening thanking me for the proof i provided a tech rep with who has escalated this to the highest levels .. I will have more information at approx 5pm Tuesday 4th Oct. Thanks ... Here is a copy of the Information i provided Sony with.

TV= KD-65x8509c (2015)

Started the Update Download at approx 6 Pm 30th 9th 2016

5 Min's to download and place onto my Fat 32 Usb Stick which i had just formatted so it was clean.

Turned off all inputs to the TV.

Put the usb in the top Usb slot

Update started instantly i did not need to press anything it just gave me a warning not to switch off the TV.

Took approx 25 Min's to Update the firmware.

TV came back on and had my old settings but new firmware number 5.1.1 .. 3.509 (Matching the file i downloaded)

I instantly put the TV into factory default setting mode.

25 Min's later i was on the Start set up screen.. Re-Input all my settings for each side .. Sat Tune.. Colour Brightness.. Etc..

I do this whenever the firmware is updated .. i find i get way less issues .. it is worth that extra time for a clean set up .. It is also what the Sony Tech guys on the phone insisted should be done after any update..

All finished by 8:50 Pm No problems No Issues .. You Tube loads faster..

I watched Ed Stafford last night .. wanted to show a friend the island he was on so i put it on again and the picture was amazing .. Reminded me of when i first got the TV ,, Crisp.. and bright .. Better picture than the previous day.

Tried my PC (GTX980Ti) Ended up dropping the colour setting on the TV from 72 to 54 .. Quirky i know ..

Reevaluated the Sky Q colour from 72 to 63 .. Love the picture .. and no juddering as of yet 3 Hrs in .. Fingers crossed..

Unfortunately Juddering has now returned Approx 15 Hrs Later (Approx 6Hrs TV Time) Juddering is now more pronounced.

Source is Sky Q Silver 2160 10 Bit + Tv set to Full dynamic range Connected via HDMI 1

Juddering also on My home Pc Nvidia GTX 980Ti at 3840x2160 8bit colour RBG Full dynamic range.. Colour depth is 32 Bit @ 60 Hz

Connected via HDMI 2 with a 2M AKORD v2.0 HDMI CABLE 18Gbps 4K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWzszO-70hg   Judder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg9sg-goqCc   Judder with temp fix applied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBMFKFIgPGU   TV Model and firmware number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUwdo5_rKF4  On Pc with film moving from pc to firmware Number without break..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @NRG117

I have forwarded your post (with youtube links) to my contact within Sony.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
zAndy1uk
Explorer

Still getting juddering on my 75xd9405 after applying the latest firmware and doing a factory reset 

https://youtu.be/lqfsUu1WYv8

It was fairly subtle last night but it happened pretty much straightaway after switching the tv on 

MrBedMonkey
Explorer

I did the firmware update on Friday and the picture seemed fine. Switched on tv Saturday and was very annoyed when the image was juddering far worse than previously and happened more frequently. Gave up on watching Sky and watched a blu-ray. TV Sunday was again juddering. Didn't watch it last night - I couldn't bring myself to see the judder.

After investing in Sky Q, Sony blu-ray player, PS4, pre-ordered PS4 pro and a tv all I want to do is be able to enjoy the setup. No way I'm setting the Sky Q to output in 1080p when I bought it AND the tv specifically for UHD.

Next firmware better resolve the issue.