Join now - be part of our community!

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

SOLVED
palmeri8145
Explorer

[Master Thread] - 4K / 2160p Juddering Issues - Sky/BT

Hi all - thanks for all the informative information I have found on this community site.

I have recently purchased the above tv and I am using it with a (UK) BT Ultra HD package. The output of the box is 2160p50 and I have set it to 10 bit colour.

Generally speaking I am very happy with the telly but I am experiencing a bug which sounds similar to the "Screen Format: Full" issue reported on another thread.

After a period of watching TV (normally longer extended periods of say 2 hours), the picture starts to judder and the "Screen Format: Full" message flicks on and off. The only way to recover this is to switch the telly off and on again which seems to allow the telly to "resync". This problem happens *every* day when watching TV at least once.

It is not a problem with the BT box as when I switch that on and off the picture problem does not clear.

I have tried different 4K related settings on the telly / BT box but the problem still occurs. Has anyone else noticed this with the TV ?

Thanks,

Ian

279 REPLIES 279
mbmapit
Explorer

If you are in the UK you could contact Watchdog like I have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Timmy1967

In your other post you mention a media streamer?  Can I assume that this media streamer can handle 4K video?  If you are streaming over the network, are you sure its not a network 'buffering' issue?

If you have received a Case ID number, can you please send me a PM with it, and ill escalate to Sony again.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

I've worked it out. HDMI 1 and 4 are having the problems from my 980ti as the 980ti doesn't have the full HDCP capability over HDMI as it isn't 2.0a. HDMI 2 and 3 for some reason correct the stuttering problem. These are possibly handled by a different chip in the tv, and Sony recommends plugging the ps4 pro into these 2 only which led me down this line.

It's been a week or more and no stutters on HDMI 3 for me at all or HDMI 2 with my ps4 pro. My Sky Q problems persist but only rarely as I have that in HDMI 4 but only because I use the other stuff more. If we had the option to disable HDCP or revert to the older HDCP on each port selectively in android options like my panasonic 4k tv we would be able to use the 980ti card with only 2.0 hdmi on all ports I think.

Braindrain
Explorer

Thats intreasting...

Wonder if it is HDCP causing all the stutter issues. If so then maybe sticking one of these HDMI splitters in between the source and TV will fix the other ports as it will remove the HDCP protection.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewHD-Ultra-HDMI-Splitter-Model/dp/B00J4D3RTU/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UT...

mbmapit
Explorer

@bemaniac84

Where did you get that information from about HDMI 1&4? The only reason I ask is because I have no issues at all with my UHD player or Nvidia Shield TV on any input. However, Sky Q stutters on every input.

profile.country.GB.title
CharlesElliott
Explorer

I have Sky Q and when I set it up, I couldn't get 10-bit to work on HDMI 2, but didn't seem to have any issues on HDMI 1 (I know you have to set the input to extended in the menu first). I only bought the TV as the judder Fix was being released, but I've never seen any juddering. 

mbmapit
Explorer

Just a quick update...

I am now having good communication from Sony. I have provided 3 videos of the issue as well as numerous other bits of information.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mbmapit

Glad to hear that there is now communications between you both.  Yes, please let us all know how it goes.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
NRG117

I was offered a 2016 replacment TV from sony after a visit from 2 engineers and i providing proof by showing them it still juddered after the Nov 7th update but i did not want a reconditioned set.. They even offered me the only comparable 2016 Model that had 3d .. like mine ..if it was new i would of acccepted .. Sony sold me a faulty TV from the moment i purchased it so I refused.

Regarding Marshmallow..

Usual rubbish from sony . .Still juddering after marshmallow.. Made worse by the fact that a quick repress of the side i was watching would stop the judder..  Now it does not recognise a change to the same side as a change so i have to work around by pressing help then back ..

Also getting a error pop up message that yvvhost has stopped responding ?? Get off my screen *****

i Updated  then factory reset the TV.. Very disapointed

milner993
Explorer

Has anyone updated to the new Marshmallow firmware yet? I'm slightly reluctant to update as my TV seems to be running as it should with only one small exception, I often need to reset the TV because it will output in 720p rather than the 2160p.

Sent from Outlook