Join now - be part of our community!

MediaTek again screwed up with Nougat concerning audio passthrough

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

MediaTek again screwed up with Nougat concerning audio passthrough

According to the Kodi community, audio passthrough is broken completely in Sony Nougat firmware. Nougat introduces the new IEC API for audio passthrough which Kodi uses. Neither Dolby AC3 nor DTS works on Sony. So MediaTek again failed to properly implement the new API.

Some apps use the older raw API for passthrough. DTS raw API, which has been introduced by Google in Marshmallow, is also still broken with the MediaTek driver that ships with new Nougat firmware.

Only the Video player can do proper passthrough for all formats as it has access to some private APIs.

This is a total shame!!! When you think it can't get any worse... Keep in mind that Dolby and DTS have been a standard for 2 decades and Sony/MediaTek still can't properly handle those formats.

47 REPLIES 47
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

maybe we should actually start bothering google about this............ I mean, sony and philips are like 90% of Android TV platform. So if google really has any intention to keep this alive they have to sort this mess out because I'm not gonna buy another anything with Android TV sticker on it.

profile.country.SE.title
walander5
Explorer

Can't believe Sony didn't issue a big warning sign about this. If I'd known I would have stayed with Marshmallow. Nougat will feel like a major downgrade until it's fixed

Agree, it's annoying and embarrassing!

profile.country.GB.title
migube
Explorer

hi guys

following the thread with interest, planning to buy a XE90 but makes me hesitate now...

Can you confirm if the issue is just with Kodi, or are other Android apps also not working to pass through DTS and AC3 via SDPIF/ARC ?

E.g does Netflix app sends the mutlichannel audio through?

can I cast 4K via google cast?

Could I use other Android apps to stream x265 (with DTS/AC3) from my Synology and get both video & audio to receiver without issues?

what does Sony support says? should we all open tickets?

tx!

migube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there @migube

Multi-channel audio can be streamed from Netflix on this TV through the use of DD+ audio codec. 

In regards to casting 4K via Googlecast, Sony released a firmware update to these TVs on the 30-05-2017 that enables this.  See: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xe90xx_x90xxe-series/kd-55xe9005/download...

In regards to your other questions, unfortuately I cannot answer.  Unless another forum member does, contact Sony and see

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

Hi Migube, the stock video app does passthrough both Dolby Digital and DTS, but has a stretching issue with 2.35:1 aspect ratio films. Kodi plays the video without stretching, but will only passthrough Dolby not DTS. Maddeningly frustrating!

Hope that helps :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
migube
Explorer

Tx guys

Does the Stock app allows to stream from a synology & play mkv H265 with no issues?

Do you confirm Netflix DD+ is working after the upgrade to Nougat 7.0?

cheers

cr

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

migube schrieb:

Can you confirm if the issue is just with Kodi, or are other Android apps also not working to pass through DTS and AC3 via SDPIF/ARC ?

Could I use other Android apps to stream x265 (with DTS/AC3) from my Synology and get both video & audio to receiver without issues?

Any 3rd party app is broken for one or the other multichannel format, depending on the used format. Official Kodi in the Play Store uses IEC API. This is broken for both, Dolby and DTS. Most other apps use the RAW API which at least works for Dolby (Lollipop up to 448kbps, > Marshmallow up to 640kbps).

The only possibility to have Dolby and DTS working is by sideloading a Kodi custom build which uses the old PCM hack (so-called [Profanity removed by moderator] builds). I won't go into detail as I don't recommend using those. It might only give you some high-pitched noise which can destroy hardware or even harm your ears.

migube schrieb:

E.g does Netflix app sends the mutlichannel audio through?

Netflix uses the RAW API and a bitrate < 640kbps. So this app is safe with any firmware.

can I cast 4K via google cast?

I was able to cast in 4K even before the mentioned update. Google Cast Receiver would pick the 4K stream...

what does Sony support says? should we all open tickets?

I gave up talking to the support a long time ago. They won't understand you or forward anything to the development department.

I have much more trust in @Anonymous in that regard...

Does the Stock app allows to stream from a synology & play mkv H265 with no issues?

Stock app supports UPnP/DLNA only, but is not very good. It for example won't play MPEG-TS from the Synology certified DLNA server...

profile.country.GB.title
migube
Explorer

Danke Kuschemonschter.

Another Dumb question, in case you connect an external 4K device via HDMI to the TV, will it then send the sound (DTS+AC3) back via SPID/ARC to the Amplifier? (as I don't have a 4K ampli yet...)

tx

cr