Join now - be part of our community!

My TV's latest Firmware update has left black bars on my screen

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

My TV's latest Firmware update has left black bars on my screen

The latest update to my Sony Android TV - KDL-43W756C  has left me with a black bar on the left side and one on the right of the screen.  About 2 centimetres on both sides.

It seems to be on all of the Standard Definition channels whereas the HD channels are okay. 

David.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please post a photo of this? 

I dont suppose this is just the TV detects 4:3 picture and not 16:9?  If so, have a look at the screen picture settings

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Thanks for your reply.  Here are 2 examples. The first from a Standard Definition channel.

No, when it as an old type of 4:3 Tv programme the black bars are much wider.

STANDARD DEFINITION channel

HD channel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the photos - I can clearly see the issue.  Can you check the screen settings to ensure that "Display Area" is set to "Full Pixel".

If that is the case and considering that this happened since the firmware - I would recommend a factory reset.  It can clear up many weird and wonderful issues.  Besides, this is also the first thing Sony will get you to do if contacting them.

If that still fails, ill escalate this thread to Sony Support.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

I did check the screen size before I posted : Full / Zoom / Normal etc. and that didn't get rid of the problem.

Ah. I had a feeling I may have to do the reset.  Okay, I will write down the settings Ive got on the Tv then re-set it.

Will get back on here later.  

profile.country.GB.title
Northern_Lights

Hi Quinnicus,  Ive done the complete Reset of the TV and it has worked !   No problems anymore as far as I can see.  I have tried a number of Standard Def channels but it's fine.  :smile:

Thanks for your help. 

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool - Glad it worked.