Join now - be part of our community!

My TV was branded as Smart but its capabilities are limited

profile.country.GB.title
STEFANOS9891
New

My TV was branded as Smart but its capabilities are limited

Hello,

I recently bought a Sony Bravia KDL-32WD752 from PC World in the UK that was branded as smart tv.

The picture quality is great but I am very limited in terms of the capabilities or the options to add extras.

With this tv I cant add more apps or browse the internet.

I would like for someone to explain what makes this tv smart if I cant have these basic functions.

Should I return this? Was the advertisement misleading?

Thank you,

Stefanos9891 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

well, you TV is not android based (not that android one is a lot smarter now since they messed up everything) but opera store should still be available on non android models so you can nstall some apps from there. But some real smart functions like wifi file transfer between your tv and phone/NAS/something else or kodi is not possible.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Hi Stefanos

What makes this TV Smart is that it has an internet connection, and this is the generally accepted definition of 'Smart' in this area. So no, the advert was not misleading.

As to whether you should swap it, if you can, read on:-

Sony document that the only apps you get are the ones they deliver; an AppStore is certainly more versatile, and perhaps you should have researched more deeply if you wanted one.

Likewise a browser, though this set has Opera code on it, so you might try looking for the Opera browser on it. However, I have never found a browser on a TV to be any use unless you can couple it to a mouse and a keyboard, and usually not even then.

(You might also try looking for the Opera Store on it, just in case Sony have that wrong).

The Sony Android sets, which are a bit smarter, have nothing below 43ins. We had a 43in one, but had to pass it down in the family as it was too small for the lounge and too big for anywhere else when we moved home.

So I expect 32ins is a given in your case?

Sticking with Sony, it's a shame that PC World didn't show you the similarly priced 

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kdl32we61...

which does have the Opera Store and the Opera browser.

But I believe that Currys give you thirty days to decide if you are satisfied with the set or not, so you might be able to swap it, if you bought it very recently, or even after thirty days if you were missold; if you told the salesman you wanted an AppStore and a browser, and he still recommended the set you have, or if he told you it had either and it doesn't (even though you may not have mentioned them) or if he had the 613 in stock and didn't show it to you as a possible alternative choice, then all these things are mis-selling.

If PC World (which is Currys anyway) do let you choose again, also look at the Samsung M5500/5600 sets.

Sony are never going to give you the ITV Hub and All4 apps on anything below the Android sets.

Alternatively, if you find you are stuck with the WD75, do not despair; just buy an addon device to get the missing smarts. A Roku stick at around £40 is the most versatile and has all the catchup players, plus both Amazon Video and NowTV if you want to subscribe to either (you don't have to), the NowTV box is £15, has all the catchup players and NowTV, but not Amazon, and the Amazon Firestick, my favourite, around £40, has it all except NowTV. And it has Alexa.

Again, all work for catchup, etc., without you having to subscribe to any services, and give you an AppStore to rummage around in.

A further option is the Google Chromecast, which lets you cast stuff from your smartphone or tablet to the TV, and takes over the job once the connection is established, freeing your device up again.i can't get on with it, personally, but a lot of my friends swear by it, so chacun à son goût, eh?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking