Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix 4K app - no sound (KD-55X8505C)

MrGreen1
Explorer

Netflix 4K app - no sound (KD-55X8505C)

When watching 4K/UHD material with the Netflix app on my Sony KD-55X8505C TV i get no sound. The picture quality is good, but no sound. Other series and movies not in 4K/UHD works fine and I get sound. Before I upgraded to av 4K/UHD subscription on Netflix, the series supporting 4K/UHD worked fine when played in regular HD. Have anyone experienced the similar. How do I solve this? 

Tags (4)
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Does this still happen, especially after the new firmware update released on 2 Feb?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
muffin1947

I am now getting a problem with Netflix when I go into all applications Netflix is not listed as are most of the apps that are normally there and not sure what to do.How is your problem.My model is a KDL-42W653A

QueenSheba

muffin1947,

Have you tried updating internet content or network settings?

I've had Netflix and other internet apps disappear, updating internet content (home, settings, network) or resetting network settings will bring them back.

MrGreen1
Explorer

The firmware released on 2 Feb is UK only so I have the latest firmware for my TV (location Norway). It is version 3.169. Did not help. I tried to do another reset of the TV, but did not help either. At the moment it looks like it is random whether I get sound or not when playing UHD/4K in the Netflix app. Sometimes it works, sometime i doesn't. A temporary "solution" I found was to go into the audio meny and select and click ok until i works. That means selecting audio language to "English". When I do this enough times, the sound suddenly is back. Don't really understand what is wrong. 

Now I have actually a new and bigger problem. After doing factory reset as recommended by Sony support, I cannot change the display settings. Anyone experienced this before?

QueenSheba

I'm also in Norway.

If you had been able to alter picture settings in Netflix before, consider yourself lucky. I have never been able to do that on my TV (KDL-55HX855), and I have newest firmware as well.

So what I have to do is go to any other internet video app on the TV, like YouTube, Billabong or Crackle, where I can change the picture settings. So try open another internet app. There you should be able to change picture settings.

As for no sound issue. I have a sound bar. Funnily enough, via Netflix on TV, never an issue with sound. But if I go into Netflix via the Sony Bluray player there is no sound. So what I did then was having to change the hdmi output sound from dolby digital to pcm, but that was settings on the bluray player. But your sound problems sounds different and I'm afraid I can't help you.

PS:

Just outta curiosity (did you see my topic started some days ago here?), do you have problems with the image being slightly squeezed/stretched? If you compare image in Netflix on TV with Netflix on your pc do you notice a difference? With me, there is. And it seems to be the Sony TV Netflix app (same on bluray player), image on TV/hdmi's otherwise is perfect. But aspect ratio seems a bit off in Netflix (fine in other internet apps). Whether it be 16:9, super wide, always a bit stretched upwards. You only notice if you compare picture. Especially noticeable on cars that seem a bit "skinny/squeezed". Just wondering if others have noticed..

MrGreen1
Explorer

I was refering to picture settings on the TV. Sorry, was a bit unclear. This suddenly started working again so no longer a problem. My experience with Android TV until now is that it is somewhat unstable. 

My current solution to the "no sound" in Netflix app issue is to select the audio option for the TV (audio button on the remote) and select sound "English" several times. The sound suddenly starts working after some retries. Strange and not a good solution, but at least I can force the sound back. Currently my sound setting is set to PCM (using a 2 channel audio system).

QueenSheba: regarding your image problem I have not noticed. Rarely watching Netflix other platform than on Sony TV app or Apple TV app.

QueenSheba

Hi, yeah I thought you meant picture settings on TV. :slight_smile:

Just so we don't misunderstand eachother.
When you have the Netflix app open on your TV, are you able to click options and adjust picture, click sound button? Cause I cannot do that. Clicking options/sound button/any button while in Netflix does nothing for me, infact I can't do anything. Luckily, there are other internet content apps, like the video app Crackle and YouTube. (I did take me a while to figure that out, so for a time I had a bad image on Netflix, very red.) So I open that, and there I can do everything. Adjusting picture settings there gives me the settings I want for internet content.

I have different settings for HDMI (tuner), HDMI 2 (pc), HDMI 3 (chromecast) and HDMI 4 (bluray).

I'm glad you have found a workaway solution, but I hope you or someone else here figures out the problem.