Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix - passthrough sound -> DD+

profile.country.GB.title
vick18
Explorer

Netflix - passthrough sound -> DD+

Hello everybody :slight_smile:

I've been trying by all means get DD+ (dolby digital plus) for netflix connecting my tv throught HDMI ARC -> AVR using sony's netflix app.

No way i can get to it, the most i've got is DD 5.1

shouldn't be this tv just by pass the sound to my avr, am I missing anything? 😕

cheers

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You won't get more. HDMI-ARC and S/PDIF only support PCM 2.0, AC3 and DTS. The TV only has HDMI inputs (with HDMI-ARC), but no outputs.

An E-AC3 (DD+) decoder therefore has to be able to convert E-AC3 to 5.1 AC3 and output via HDMI-ARC or S/PDIF which is what you are seeing.

This won't change until HDMI 2.1 and eARC, which supports higher bitrates for E-AC3 and HD/3D audio.

If you want E-AC3 today you need a box with HDMI outputs.

profile.country.GB.title
vick18
Explorer

@Kuschelmonschter

Thanks for your reply mate :slight_smile:

I'm guessing from your answer that for the same reason Kodi is not able to bypass DTS HD MA and so on, but instead Kodi gets DD+ (version 16.4) :S, i'm a bit confusse here

what do you mean by "box with hdmi"? should be connected to tv's arc and then AVR?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Same applies to Kodi of course. You won't get DTS-HD or E-AC3 (DD+) out of it. DTS-HD streams usually have a DTS Core which Kodi/ffmpeg can extract and output via HDMI-ARC. As for E-AC3, Kodi 16 can't output it at all and will decode it and output as PCM 2.0, Kodi 17 is able to hand E-AC3 to the TV which then does the DD 5.1 downconversion.

By box I mean a Xiaomi Mi-Box or nVIDIA SHIELD TV. So you will use the TV only as display in this case...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Concerning Sony TV and passthrough audio, also read this. Drivers have severe issues. So extracting DTS Core from DTS-HD and outputting it via ARC is also only theory as the driver prevents that...

profile.country.GB.title
vick18
Explorer

@Kuschelmonschter will read right now

*****.... i would say that is a matter of software, what the hell should we be buying a nvidia shield (+£100) having an android on our tv? doesnt make any sense cut down capabilities of a smart tv so we need to buy another device to make our tv smart enough

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Fact is, HDMI-ARC only supports PCM2.0, AC3 and DTS. Driver indeed already *****s up some of that as you can read on the other thread. Some issues are indeed software related.

As for HD/3D audio, it might be a hardware limitation as the HDMI transmitter might internally be hooked up to the SoC via S/PDIF connection for audio via HDMI-ARC, which indeed is limited in bandwidth...

I have a Sony TV and a big Teufel soundbar and subwoofer. I am perfectly fine with the ARC audio formats. True HD has an interleaved AC3 stream, DTS-HD has DTS Core and E-AC3 can be downconverted to AC3. So I would be perfectly fine with AC3 and DTS. If you really want more, you have no other choice but to go with another box, or wait for TVs which support eARC.

profile.country.GB.title
vick18
Explorer

Thanks again. 

Now i'm getting som ething... if i connect my PS3 straight to the tv ii still get DD because the ARC does cut it off, otherwise if i connect the ps3 right to the AVR i'm getting DD+

well i can be a way around. but still doesnt make it a great solution, in fact i like the netflix app on sony tv

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

if i connect my PS3 straight to the tv ii still get DD because the ARC does cut it off, otherwise if i connect the ps3 right to the AVR i'm getting DD+

Exactly. Good example.