Join now - be part of our community!

No display through AVR

profile.country.GB.title
Puri81
Explorer

No display through AVR

We bought the 55xf9005 bravia tv. It's connected to the avr (denon avrx 23000), however there is no display on the tv. There is sound coming from the age. When devices are plugged directly into the tv, there is video. Can anyone help?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Puri81 wrote:

We bought the 55xf9005 bravia tv. It's connected to the avr (denon avrx 23000), however there is no display on the tv. There is sound coming from the age. When devices are plugged directly into the tv, there is video. Can anyone help?

age=amp?

That the sound is coming out proves that whatever is connected to the amp is running.

To get video, you need three things:

(i) The amp must be outputting video. Read your amp manual on how to set this, and ensure it is set.

(ii) The amp must be properly connected to the TV. You don’t say how you have made this connection (hopefully not with a piece of wet string!) but a known-to-be-working high-speed HDMI cable from an appropriate HDMI Video Out on the amp (amp manual again) to an appropriate HDMI Video In on the TV (I would expect this to be the ARC-enabled HDMI port on the TV, but check with the amp manual and the TV manual) is the connection I would use.

(iii) The TV must be set to use this input. (TV manual again). Or it may select it automatically, especially if you have CEC (=BraviaSync) enabled on the amp:-

Control your Denon AVR-X1500H with your Smart TV remote via the HDMI CEC functionality associated with your Smart TV. Simply set “HDMI Control” to ON in your receiver, then set “Smart Menu” to ON and begin controlling the AVR-X1500H with your TV remote. The Smart Menu home screen provides you quick access to source and surround mode selections, the AVR's setup menu and four Smart Selects.

Do please let us know how you get on, and if you encounter any further difficulties!

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Puri81
Explorer

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did mean amp before. Predictive text.

amp is connected to the TV by HDMI. It was working fine on the previous Samsung TV. Arc is also working correctly. Sound is coming through from all devices connected to the amp, but no picture on the TV. Tv is set to HDMI 3 (ARC channel). Amp is also set to HDMI passthrough mode. Again, This all worked fine on a previous Samsung TV.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

OK, sounds like you got all the basics right.

I have a couple more suggestions:-

Try the amp into a different HMDI input, temporarily, to see if you get video;

Dumb down what the amp is sending, again temporarily, to 1080p HD say, and see if you get video then.

Beyond that (or even if either trick works!), it may take someone more knowledgeable than me, someone familiar with the amp maybe, to get you further forward :thermometer_face:

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Puri81
Explorer

:)... tried through all HDMI ports on the TV as well... still no luck. It looks like a handshake issue between avr and TV. Going to replace the HDMI cable from avr to tv with version 2. I've also updated all firmwares/software on all devices.

Thanks for all your responses and suggestions Royabrown

Does anyone have any suggestions or experienced similar?