Join now - be part of our community!

Optical out not working on KD 65 AF9

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
clarkey_71
Explorer

Optical out not working on KD 65 AF9

Hello.

The optical out on my TV seems to have stopped working. I run into my analogue amp via a small converter. It had been working fine.

I've checked the cable and the red light is showing at the end coming from the TV.

I've also connected the bluray player direct with the optical cable and it works fine, which rules out a problem with the cable and converter. There is nothing wrong with my amp either.

I've tried to go through all the settings to see if I have inadvertently changed something, but can't see any issues.

I've aleady had to have a replacement TV as there was a problem with a cluster of white pixels. I hope this isn't another problem.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @clarkey_71, welcome to the Community.

That's a bit of an odd one. There's a troubleshooting process you can follow that might fix the issue, or at least rule out several possibilities.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @clarkey_71,

In order to resolve your issue we would require more details on the type and brand of your devices, including the connection types and the converter you mention.

It would also help if you add a better description of the steps you have taken so far. As from your initial post your test conclusions are ambiguous.

If I were to suggest a test at this point based on what I understand, it would be to try connecting your TV using a different optical cable to a receiver which does have an optical input. Perhaps you can ask a family member or friend to offer you their’s if you don’t have one at home. At the end of the day, you want to be 100% sure that your TV is faulty before you request a service repair.

Cheers,

Dutchice 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @clarkey_71, welcome to the Community.

That's a bit of an odd one. There's a troubleshooting process you can follow that might fix the issue, or at least rule out several possibilities.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @clarkey_71,

In order to resolve your issue we would require more details on the type and brand of your devices, including the connection types and the converter you mention.

It would also help if you add a better description of the steps you have taken so far. As from your initial post your test conclusions are ambiguous.

If I were to suggest a test at this point based on what I understand, it would be to try connecting your TV using a different optical cable to a receiver which does have an optical input. Perhaps you can ask a family member or friend to offer you their’s if you don’t have one at home. At the end of the day, you want to be 100% sure that your TV is faulty before you request a service repair.

Cheers,

Dutchice 

profile.country.GB.title
clarkey_71
Explorer

Thanks for your replies.

Just to confirm that everything was working fine.

I was able to listen to the TV through my hifi amp.

I feed my analogue amp via a small converter. The converter is connected to the TV via an optical cable.

It then just seemed to stop working.

The optical cable still has the red light coming through it, so I can only presume there is some sort of signal coming from the TV.

I disconnected the optical cable and routed it directly from my Sony bluray player, again through the converter and into my hifi amp, and that works perfectly.

This means that the cable and converter must be working.

I've tried so many different settings on the TV to see if I'd accidentally changed anything, but nothing I do makes sound go from my TV to my hifi amp.

I really cannot think of any solution, especially as the configuration I'm using had been working perfectly, with no changes made by me to any component.

I really am at a loss as to what the problem could be.

Thanks.