Join now - be part of our community!

Oreo 6.6510 Firmware ruined the Android UI brightness

profile.country.HU.title
S0unnd

Oreo 6.6510 Firmware ruined the Android UI brightness

Previously i was on the 6.5830, and the TV is KD-55XF9005B. With that OS update the brightness in the Android apps was homogeneous (at Max brightness)

With 6.6510, at 100% brightness the Android UI is significantly dimmer, but when you watch a video, like youtube or twitch, the video footage is bright and flawless.

For example: The top image is a screenshot from my app. The text (android ui element) and the underlaying video at those points should be 100% white, same is true with the buttons or chat text. Those are 100% white.

They were equally bright on 6.5830, but since 6.6510 something changed.

The image below is a an underexposed photo, but you can clearly see that, the video element is significantly brighter then the android UI element. Before you complain about the photo quality, i can take 50 photos, but there won't be a single one where those two white points will be the same.

How can i fix this? Because something is clearly broken here. The same color shoud look the same wherever is on the TV screen, but it's clearly not.

And no, nothing wrong with my eyes, because many others are experiencing the same thing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/brtqcg/66510_firmare_xd9005_brightness_tv_menu/

https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comments/brjxay/finally_eu_update_66510/eog0o8k/

UPDATE:

In my testing the Brightness sort of affects the overall image brightness: so both Android Overlay and Video playback is affected. BUT, Contrast DOESN'T affects the android UI no matter what is the setting. Min contrast looks the same as Max contrast on the Android UI, but i will affect the video playback as expected.

With this UI brightness (at Max) you can barely see the Android UI in a bright room. This is unacceptable!

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I feel your pain. Have been in that very boat for years already...

SteveX77
New

The same problem here, on XF9005 after recent update to 6.6510.

All Android UI elements / OSD / whole applications, including Launcher itself (settings), are significantly dim.
I realised that the most probable cause if fixed contrast of these values. To proof it:

- It doesn't matter on TV input (any HDMI, Digital TV, Application, Application (Video), Screen Mirroring)
- The brightness / contrast of UI doesn't move when changing contrast / black levels on current / any input source

- Exprimentally measured that the value of contract is approx 37%, that causes that the "max. white" is still very dim

- When there is any HW video stream (signal from DVB-C, streaming applications like Youtube, HBO GO, external source over any HDMI input), the contract / black level settings affect only the video layer. If there are for example white subtitles rendered over the video within the application, they appear grey, not white at all and are not readable in many brighter scenes.

Hope that our japanese friends will fix this soon. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GR.title
Johnickz

Did anyone manage to find a solution? I tried everything but it cant be undone.

Can we downgrade somehow? Can the Sony Support downgrade our television?

Shall we apply a massive ticket to an official Sony channel?

Sony Greece say that I should factory reset, as many many others over the Globe!

They are trolling us for sure.

profile.country.NL.title
MartijnOnlySony
Explorer

Unconfirmed: does the 6.6520 update solve this?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yes.
profile.country.NL.title
MartijnOnlySony
Explorer

Excellent, will update my set tonight 😉