Join now - be part of our community!

Permanent disable of internal speakers on KD-55A1?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Permanent disable of internal speakers on KD-55A1?

Hi all,

I'm having issues with my KD-55A1 whereby it keeps enabling the internal (TV) speakers when I go to the Netflix app.

I have been into the sound settings and set the sound to an AV system but when certain actions are triggered on my amp (Yamaha RX-A3050), like switching to Audio Input 1 for Netflix from the TV (connected via optical), it seems to trigger the TV to re-enable the TV speakers and thus stop sending the sound to my amp.

The fix seems to be to power off and back on my amp and this triggers the TV to re-detect the amp and switch back to the AV system setting for sound.

This is quite annoying and I would have thought that once I set the sound to external amp it should stay that way until I tell it otherwise.

Is there a way to permanently disable the TV speakers?  Has anyone else had this issue when running with an external amp?  It only seems to have started happening post the last update that the TV applied the other day.

Cheers,

Ben.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

What I *think* is happening is that you are using Netflix and the audio is DD+ and the optical connection to your AV Receiver is not downmixing the DD+ to something it can support.  I dont think DD+ can transmit over optical/SPDIF due to bandwidth requirements and hence the audio is cutting back to the TV.

What I dont get is why you are using an optical cable connected to a *lovely* AV receiver.  Simply use a HDMI cable instead and connected to both the ARC ports on the TV and AV Receiver - Your AV Receiver certainly supports it:

AV Connection.jpg

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I am using the TV optical out myself (the TV is different but the OS is the same) and what I do is to turn off the TV volume. Since you want to disable the internal speakers for good that should work. Unless when you change the volume in your amp it changes on the TV as well (I know that some Yamaha soundbars have a system to recognize the various TV remotes).

I have the settings for Speakers set to "TV speaker" and in that way I get the "double" audio: TV speaker plus optical. But with the TV volume at zero that is not an issue.

Still, I am not an expert, but I am a bit surprised that via optical the receiver can trigger anything in the TV. I thought the optical was mono directional. Unless it is the Netflix app itself messing up with the audio settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

What I *think* is happening is that you are using Netflix and the audio is DD+ and the optical connection to your AV Receiver is not downmixing the DD+ to something it can support.  I dont think DD+ can transmit over optical/SPDIF due to bandwidth requirements and hence the audio is cutting back to the TV.

What I dont get is why you are using an optical cable connected to a *lovely* AV receiver.  Simply use a HDMI cable instead and connected to both the ARC ports on the TV and AV Receiver - Your AV Receiver certainly supports it:

AV Connection.jpg

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Cheers for the reply!

I did try and get the audio working via ARC but to no avail.

I'll have to check which unput I'm using on the amp ahd give it another go.

profile.country.GB.title
YorkieCampo

Cheers for the replies, I managed to get HDMI ARC working and this has resolved the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad everything is working :vulcan: