Join now - be part of our community!

Prime Video UHD selections only play in a maximum of 1080p on XE9005

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Prime Video UHD selections only play in a maximum of 1080p on XE9005

Hello,

For some reason, and I am not sure if its coincidence but since I installed Netflix (I only have a 1080p subscription at the moment, 3 month trial with PS+) my Prime Video will no longer stream in UHD.

If I select a UHD programme from Prime, is plays in HDR (and sometimes not even in HD to start with) then will flick over the HD and then finally 1080p.

It used to pretty much always start streaming at 1080p then flick over to Ultra HD.

I have checked my net connection, its a FTTH hard wired connection to the TV at 75Mbps, a speedtest using an app on the TV reports around 78Mbps, not sure how accurate it is but, it suggests there is no internet issue.

I have tried rolling back the Prime application (does the same) and re-installing the latest version (does the same).

Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? I just want to get on with using this TV, not have to diagnose issues constantly with it. I am tempted to try a full factory reset again but, not sure it will help. There are no central setting anywhere to enable UHD streaming is there? Youtube seems to be fine with UHD streams and I can't test Netflix as I only have a HD subscription.

The attached photo shows the idea, this is what I get, the stream will play permanantly once its up to speed in 1080p.

Cheers,

IMG_20181022_205423937.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

well iv just tested it and im getting no uhd stream, tried grand tour and then suicide squad and even the 4k space thing and all are 1080P something i did notice is the stuttering now and again on the video but not sound, guessing amazon top of the line app strikes again. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Thats interesting. Have you tried Jack Ryan and Man in the High Castle UHD versions? People on other forums suggest they are ok. So thought it was just me. I spoke to Amazon today and they pointed me back to Sony.

I am now in the process of doing a factory reset.

Just to confirm you pick a UHD version like me and it just streams in 1080p? You haven't picked the standard version by mistake? UHD being hiden at the bottom doesn't help much. 😞

Annoyingly there has not even been an update to Prime Video so I've no idea whats going on.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

i think i picked the right version il have another check in a bit but the amazon apps been bloody dreadful since i got my set. any time i try prime theres always an issue be it sound or video. 

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

well done another quick test and found the uhd version of grand tour played ok and in hdr. baffled why they have two copies of stuff. really confusing. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Well its because of Netflix, don't know why? Did a factory reset and could play Prime Video in Ultra HD. As soon as I use Netflix though and go back into Prime Video I am stuck in 1080p. What the hell?

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

ok thats damned odd. il have another test with mine see if it does the same or not but why netflix screws with prime is beyond me. 

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Turns out my ISP is also having issues even though speed tests look good.

profile.country.GB.title
stewartgordon4

i have been told by sony customer relations that there is going to be a firmware update to solve the problem with the amazon app but they cant say when in the meantime i have ordered the new amazon 4k fire stick that gives support for dolby vision dolby atmos h d r 10 h d r 10plus and they say they will refund me the cost of the fire stick

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

i have been told by sony customer relations that there is going to be a firmware update to solve the problem with the amazon app but they cant say when

That's what they always say to hold people off. Next FW will fix everything... fff... sure... Same old game.