Join now - be part of our community!

Question regarding KD-49XD7005

profile.country.GB.title
nalfylatino
Explorer

Question regarding KD-49XD7005

I bought this television back in November 2016, everything was perfect with it, until a few months ago from now I started noticing this small grey like blotch in the middle of the screen. This small blotch is only really visible in lighter colours (white seems to be the worst), and I have tried cleaning the screen to no avail.

I have had to return previously owned Sony TV's in the past because of this problem (Amazon seemed very happy to provide me with a replacement set). But this time, I used Argos, and they don't seem too keen to deal with me, instead pointing me in this direction. I do recall a Sony representative telling me that this ghosting should not be so visible, so I am sure this isn't normal.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @nalfylatino,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your screen - it sounds like it needs to be sent for repair.  You can find more details about this here.

Cheers,
C

profile.country.GB.title
nalfylatino
Explorer

Hi, I have sent a request using the support section of the Sony website, but it has been two weeks and have received no reply. I am trying again just now, but I am rather nervous as my manufacturers guarantee timeframe is nearly up. I hope I get an answer asap as this is not right. I did not pay my hard earned money to live with this grey blob in the middle of my screen.

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @nalfylatino - I have escalated your message for you, so someone from Support should be in touch soon.  Please let me know if this doesn't happen and I will follow up. Thanks, C

profile.country.GB.title
nalfylatino
Explorer

Thank you so much for that, I have had an email regarding the repair. However, I do have one very important question. I bought this TV from Argos on the 12th of November (although it was delivered on the 14th of November). As it works out right now, I am still under the year warranty period, although it is cutting it extremely short. Would this be a problem? I hope it is not! I am also afraid it might take me some time to send the tv using a courier as it is both costly, and I am pretty busy during the whole week.

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

You will need to check this with Support - if easier and to save time, maybe just give them a call on +44 (0) 2073652810

profile.country.GB.title
nalfylatino
Explorer

Okay, I have replied to the previous email and I sent them some photos, along with the order confirmation and everything needed in order to get this process started.

Tech support has just come back to me telling me this:

Dear Ms Hughes

Thank you for contacting Sony support 

We confirm the receipt of your email and the attachments 

However, kindly provide the below in order to book an exchange order for your TV and replace it

- please send copy of VAT receipt since the attached order confirmation cannot be considered as one, you can refer back to Argos to provide it

- VAT proof of purchase shows the below information:

1- Dealer’s name

2- Date of purchase

3- Model name of TV 

4- VAT number

5- Amount paid

- the pictures from the home screen.

- Once the exchange is done, would you like to receive a short survey regarding the service you received from the repair center?

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,

Menna

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

Now, I understand regarding the home screen pictures, as that can be done pretty easily. The whole reason I sent photos of a white background instead is that this blob only shows with lighter backgrounds, and the home screen does not exactly qualify as 'dark'.

The next issue I have is regarding this 'VAT receipt'. I am absolutely fuming about this, as I have just been on chat to Argos, and they have confirmed that Sony do not need this information whatsoever, and the confirmation of the order should be enough for them. In fact, I have the whole customer service transcript of the chat. The only way they can give VAT details to anyone is if they are a registered business, which I am not. I am just a customer trying to get their TV sorted out. I paid hard earned money into buying this item, so I expect some sort of help from Sony when their products fail to work properly.

In fact I would attach the whole conversation with Argos here, but I will copy and paste what the person said:

Annmarie,
Thank you. I will try and locate your order details, one moment please.

Me,

If it helps, this is the order number: 1147423047

Annmarie,
Thank you.
I have located this order. We can only send a VAT Receipt out for VAT purposes and for registered Businesses. If you do require confirmation of your order you can go on to our "order tracking" on our website which will provide you with a receipt of your order.
10:15 AM

Me,

I see,I will try that quickly. The problem is that I have sent them the order confirmation and I have even given them the serial number of the TV but they want this VAT thing quite badly. It just makes me feel rather annoyed that I am having to do all this for a product which surely should not have these problems. Thank you for helping if you can give me two seconds I shall try your suggestion. You have to remember this TV was ordered in November 2016 so I hope your order tracking suggestion might help.

Annmarie,
There should be no reason why they would need a VAT Receipt, all they should need is details from the order which can be located from our "order tracking" service. As they should only require confirmation of the order.
10:18 AM

Me,

I know, I am rather confused myself. It sort of seems like they do not want to help me at all. I have tried the order tracking bit but it has not VAT number. I don't really know what to do now, as I just want a product that doesn't have this fault. I guess I can show this chat to my support tech guy.

Annmarie,

We would not provide a VAT number for no VAT purposes and there should be no reason why they would need a VAT number. When a supplier require confirmation they do only need the details of the order, they would not need a VAT number.

Me,

I understand. I will try telling them this. Thank you for the help.

I am rather flabbegasted and in need of help from anyone here. The Sony support person I am talking to sounds more like a robot and I seem to get this feeling in my stomach that they are trying to turn me away somehow. I will be contacting consumer Watchdogs as well as Trading standards as I feel this is absurd.

I have gone through a personal tragedy/loss recently, and do not wish to be given the run around. I am grieveing, and this on top is not helping. Please Sony, I just need your help, stop trying to complicate everything!