Join now - be part of our community!

Rakuten TV App

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Rakuten TV App

I have an XF9005 and can't get the Rakuten tv app (got some free movies with a Roku which is for another room). 

Rakuten info says it's on Android TV but it doesn't appear for me

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I tried sideloading the latest version off the play store but it won't start as says its not compatible and I should load the version of the app from the android tv play store instead - though it doesn't appear in any searches on the TV

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

I got a reply from Rakuten on this that the app is only available on UR2 4k sony tvs (I think these are 2019 models with the new mediatek chipset) 

If anyone who has the app would care to copy the apk I'd still be keen to try it though in case it works

profile.country.GB.title
3smurf3

I directly contacted Rakuten a while ago, with the same issue. This is part of the email they sent back:

Our technicians have suggested to follow this route to adjust the location of your devise to the proper app market.
Main Menu - Settings - Location - Location Status - Use WiFi to estimate Location.
Then please check again if you can find the Rakuten TV APP

This worked for me. The app appears in the 'Sony select channel' on the home screen. You cannot download it from the play store.

Hope this helps?

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Thanks for that - when I checked it was already in the select channel list so maybe have just not noticed it there and the contact I had with Rakuten just said it wasn't available for my TV

Since my original post I'd actually found and installed the TV version of the app from an apk repository - which works OK but has subtitle glitches. 

The version in the Sony select channel is different as I had to login to it separately, and it has some UI differences. However it's better as it doesn't appear to have the subtitle glitches but sadly is still only 1080P and stereo sound (for my Xf90) .  The only possible advantage of the separate sideloaded app is that it can be set as a channel in its own right, but had turned that off anyway

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Have also just noticed there's a sony 99p rental code that shows in the Sony select channel underneath the app - will see if that works this weekend! 

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

The Sony select channel rakuten 99p rental code works BTW - watched Angel has Fallen, sadly only in HD on my Xf90 

profile.country.GB.title
LIrons1
Explorer

Thank you very much for this information. I have now found it in my Sony TV App.

profile.country.GB.title
norman45
New

Thank you for this. Just wasted 15 minutes searching the Google play store with no luck. Found your post and now I’m in