Join now - be part of our community!

Recent tv update KD-49XD8307C has stopped Plex discovery

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
domfds
Explorer

Recent tv update KD-49XD8307C has stopped Plex discovery

I am based in the UK, my Sony Anroid TV KD-49XD8307C recently go updated to Android 7.0.  However, the update has stopped my Plex App from discoverying my home plex server.  I have updated both the server software to 1.15.1.791-8bec0f76c and Plex App to 7.12.2.9471 and still the TV plex app can not find the server on the home network.  I tried installing ealier versions of the plex app APK on the TV but still it doesn't find the server.

I now the server is running as I can access it from the mobile plex app and from an Amazon Fire TV stick

running the Plex app.

I am thinking that the TV OS update have added some incompatibility with the Plex App for server discovery.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
domfds
Explorer

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to solve the issue. Since the TV OS update, it seems that the network interface had not initialised correctly after the update.  I have a wired connection to the TV and although it was connected to the home network and internet access available to it, it behaved a bit strange.  For example, I created a new smb/cifs network share with user/password auth. being accessed from VLC (on the TV) but my credentials were not being accepted.   I tried to delete the caches of the VLC and Plex apps with no successfull outcome.  I had performed soft resets with the TV remote control for restarting the TV which no effect either. 

The solution that worked was to enable and disable the wifi on the TV which re-initialised something in the networking interface which allowed Plex to perform network discovery and VLC to accept the network share credentials.  Now, it is working as before.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there,

Have you tried a factory reset?

Best wishes,

M

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @domfds,

I believe the first step you should take is to delete the Cache and Data for the PLEX app under HOME > [Settings] > [Apps]. This will force the app to initiate the server discovery and registration process. 

Next, I suggest you verify the correct Ethernet option is selected in the PLEX Server settings under [Network] > [Preferred Network Interface]. Note that you must click the Show Advanced button on the top right corner to see this setting option. If your server has multiple network interfaces, the PLEX server must know to which network interface it should bind. So select the network interface on which the TV is found.

Remember also that if the TV is connected through a WiFi connection to your home network, you can expect these type of PnP protocol based applications to encounter connectivity issues. In particular if you are making use of wireless repeaters or wireless bridges. So my advice would be to connect the TV using a wired LAN connection to verify if that resolves the issue. 

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
domfds
Explorer

Thanks for the replies.

I managed to solve the issue. Since the TV OS update, it seems that the network interface had not initialised correctly after the update.  I have a wired connection to the TV and although it was connected to the home network and internet access available to it, it behaved a bit strange.  For example, I created a new smb/cifs network share with user/password auth. being accessed from VLC (on the TV) but my credentials were not being accepted.   I tried to delete the caches of the VLC and Plex apps with no successfull outcome.  I had performed soft resets with the TV remote control for restarting the TV which no effect either. 

The solution that worked was to enable and disable the wifi on the TV which re-initialised something in the networking interface which allowed Plex to perform network discovery and VLC to accept the network share credentials.  Now, it is working as before.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Thank you @domfds for taking time and sharing your solution. We greatly appreciate it since it helps others in situations just like yourself.

Cheers,
Dutchice