Join now - be part of our community!

Record to USB stick problems

SOLVED
profile.country.IE.title
TEXAS66
Explorer

Record to USB stick problems

I had posted last week that my new Sony Bravia 43 x85j google tv would not record to a 32gb USB stick even though it did register it.

It would say the USB stick almost full even when empty and new., then it would allow set to record and error as full stick when record started.

I tried a ne 64gb USB yesterday and low and behold this worked so 32gb stick no good on this tv.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaep1/v1/en/03-01_05.html

Only USB HDDs larger than 32 GB are supported.

Obviously that memory in particular is not accepted, or the 32 GB become less when the TV formats it and so it is no longer at least 32 GB ... In theory, the 32 GB cut should be included.

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey TEXAS66, I just replied to the other thread :grin: Please mark it as solved as well :grin: Thanks for the update. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mooly01, I find anything below 1TB is less convenient to use, since it won't be used for pretty much anything afterwards anyway. 

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/iaep1/v1/en/03-01_05.html

Only USB HDDs larger than 32 GB are supported.

Obviously that memory in particular is not accepted, or the 32 GB become less when the TV formats it and so it is no longer at least 32 GB ... In theory, the 32 GB cut should be included.
profile.country.IE.title
TEXAS66
Explorer

Thanks for the comment that was the conclusion I had arrived at when I purchased the 64gb

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey TEXAS66, I just replied to the other thread :grin: Please mark it as solved as well :grin: Thanks for the update. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Just to add a bit more to this...

Some years ago I was very taken with the idea of using a small USB flash drive for this use and found a SanDisk 64Gb USB3 drive worked well... but... there's always a but...

The drive ran continually quite hot and over several months seemed to suffer. I removed the drive and reformatted on the PC and found it was pretty much useless. Transfer speeds had dropped off the radar. I tried every trick in the book to recover the drive but without success. 

The drive had a 5yr warranty and SanDisk asked for it to be returned to them (they paid for that) and it was then promptly replaced.

I've gone back to using an ancient (USB 2 actually) traditional drive and latterly have swapped the internals for a well used SSD from a PC upgrade. That runs essentially cold. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Mooly01, I find anything below 1TB is less convenient to use, since it won't be used for pretty much anything afterwards anyway. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

I tend to use the feature just for quick 'on the fly' recordings tbh as the TV I have (KD43XD8305C) has no form of PDC (to start and stop recordings exactly when the programme starts and stops) and also the indexing of recorded titles is basic and not easy to navigate when you have lots of recordings. It is what it is although I have two HDD recorders as well that are constantly used.

Its a pity because it could be so good if it were developed into a fully fledged recorder.