Join now - be part of our community!

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

Itchigo53
Explorer

Recording unavailable in youview mode?!

All, installed the update and have now been notified I can record.  Got a usb hdd plugged in but when I press the record button either on live tv or epg for a future programme I have the msg pop up "the button is unavailable in youview mode" ! I've searched and no one else seems to have this error. 

Thanks.

68 REPLIES 68
profile.country.GB.title
jhunter619
Explorer

Thanks for the great replies, curiosity got the better of me 🙂

I take last point about speaking to the vendor which I may have mentioned in last post, I think miss-sold is a stretch but worth some consideration.

I do think Sony should take note as lots of other people have probably said many times in this community. Having spent most of my formative years in the 90s I had it drilled in to me that SONY=QUALITY so just like a negative reputation I find this difficult to forget. More recent experience however (a mobile phone recently - replaced at my expense mid contract!!) is proving this is not necesserily the case anymore and its a shame.

Unfortunatey for Sony, people need a reason to choose not to buy a Samsung or even an LG, which I guess unfortunately means they need to work harder to either win customers on features and experience - they cant continue to rely on peple with a strange sense of brand loyalty (or in my case the good old days). They just need to be getting this stuff right. The next time I am faced with a choice of two things at the same price, will I go Sony again? They have a habbit of making it difficult these days.  I want to like them!

It would make me happy if someone at Sony took notice

profile.country.GB.title
Visionman
Explorer

''Thanks for the great replies,

It would make me happy if someone at Sony took notice.''

Your welcome and I'm sure we all want that!

RuperChas
New

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

That is the case, yes.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Thegadgetman

Go to settings - Apps - YouView - Disable it.  Now you can record Provided you have installed a drive of at least 32 GB.  For best results use one comparable with type 3 port and inserted into port 3 on the TV.

profile.country.GB.title
jhunter619
Explorer

Thanks for the reply but you missed the point a little...

I know you can do this, but this is the complaint. I need to enable youview (not that I particularly like it) so that I can access all of the streaming content from 40D. I also want to be able to record live TV. This is still not an option. The recording featue is disbaled when youview is enabled! My current solution is I just dont record stuff, money well spent!

Insane design choice. To be honest, apart from looking ok in the living room, the TV is simultanioulsy the most expensive and worst i've ever owned. Ok, it has more features than one I owned lets say 15 years ago but I would go as far as saying the Samsung it replaced is possibly still betterapart from the size. I have had to factory reset this thing several times, it crashes all the time randomly, reboots itself, apps just randomly close quite alot, the TV is just generally slow to respond even when it is working etc etc. I guess some of this might be Android and not Sony but genuinely - what a piece of crap. I did raise with Sony and got told about a few different ways to reboot it and reset it etc but where do you go from here - nothing has helped, I have a sneakly feeling they just stopped replying but I have largely past caring. We just accept the fact now that the TV "has its moments".. ok, I am off topic here.

All things considerd, it wasnt the right purchase. Lesson learnt. Will I buy anything else from Sony - I very much doubt it

profile.country.GB.title
Thegadgetman

Can/t you get your streaming from the "All Four" App?

Another option is to keep YouView in operation, but do your recordings upon a DVD Recorder or a Freesat Recorder.

Eric_Carter
Explorer

Thanks for the reply to our message but your missing the point. 

The TV should allow all the features advertised !

Its like having a car on the drive and then getting the bus to work becuse the car has no starter motor,  you can still use it but you need to push start it everytime  

Vote with your feet and refuse to Buy another Sony device....  Simple 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Assuming that you want a solution, and not just a moan (though you are perfectly entitled to, and justified in having, a moan), go out and buy a £15 NowTV box, and plug it into one of the HDMI ports on the TV,

Then disable YouView.

This will give you the full features of this TV - Freeview, satellite, recording - and All4 and the itv Hub from the NowTV box, with nothing more to pay; you don’t need to subscribe to NowTV at all.

You will lose the YouView Discover, the backward EPG with its seamless links into the catchup Players, and a few other bits of YouView chrome, but these - especially without the pause and rewind live TV that likewise depends on a recording capability - do not seem to be compelling reasons to stay with the YouView interface, for most people.

I think everyone I have ever met who raves about these sets without any ifs or buts is using it as a monitor for their Sky box, where the unrivalled screen quality for the price matters, and the tragic software implementation, both Sony’s side of it and YouView’s, doesn’t.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Eric_Carter
Explorer

I am Just Moaning....  I spent £700 on my TV so feel entitled,  I have a VU Enigma2 Sat Reciever so have plenty of options but the TV does not do what it said on the box without serious compromises or having to resort to plugging in extra additional devices.

I am Just Moaning ....