Join now - be part of our community!

Reformatted USB stick, now TV won't recognise it

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
jefwatts
Explorer

Reformatted USB stick, now TV won't recognise it

Hi

I've had a Sony Bravia T?V KDL-43WE753 for a bit under a year. I've been using a USB stick to record off the TV. But the USB had some kind of error where it showed there was hardly any space on it. I deleted all the programmes but it still showed only 25 GB free out of 58.

I reformatted the stick on my PC, putting it back to the default settings, but now the TV won't recognise it. The reformatting only gave the option of "NTFS" or "Ex-FAT (default)" under File System, so I chose Ex-FAT. My TV instructions say it's compatable with NTFS, FAT16 and FAT32 but doesnt mention Ex-FAT, so I'm not sure if this is what the problem is.

Is anybody able to help me with this? Thanks.

24 REPLIES 24
profile.country.GB.title
jefwatts
Explorer

I don't think I can upload any more images. The screen shows this:

DISKPART> format quick fs=ntfs

100 percent completed

DiskPart successfully formatted the volume.

DISKPART>

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@jefwatts Sure. That’s all what matters to know. Now type the following then post back the result again. 

assign letter=S

Only if the result is successful proceed by typing the following also then eject your stick from the PC by right clicking the drive in Windows Explorer and selecting “eject”. You can then test the USB stick on your TV. 

exit

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
jefwatts
Explorer

Yay, it worked! Thank you.

I have some recordings that I think might be FAT32 stored on my PC. Does the fact that the USB is nfts mean I won't be able to play them?

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

@jefwatts Glad to hear you solved the problem. FAT32 or NTFS are type of formats for storage devices. The main difference in terms of use between FAT32 and NTFS, is that FAT32 type format has a file size limit of 4GB while there is no such limit in terms of file size for the NTFS type format. You can transfer your media files from any storage device regardless of its type of format to your USB stick and still play them back on your TV.

Now since your USB stick has the NTFS format type, you can copy any files regardless of their size onto your USB stick and play them back on your TV.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
jefwatts
Explorer

Excellent. Thanks for all your help.