Join now - be part of our community!

Reviews of BBC 4K World Cup trial

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Reviews of BBC 4K World Cup trial

So we have a thread for those unfortunate to have a TV that does not support the trial, so I thought it would be good to hear from anyone who has been able to access it via a supported set.

Any lucky people out there? How does it look?

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
newbix

The ZD9 has been taken off the BBC list of TVs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/live-uhd

Sony off shore support are going to get a ear full

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Hi Newbix,

If possible can we keep the problems to the other thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bbc-iplayer-4k-support-in-time-for-the-world-cup/td-p/247...

I'm interested in hearing about the performance on TV models where the trial does work :slight_smile:

The first UHD broadcast is tomorrow, 15/6/18 Egypt vs Uruguay. Programme starts at 1230.

Following that there is a further broadcast for Portugal vs Spain starting at 1820.

profile.country.GB.title
walks14
Explorer

I've tried a few world cup matches in UHD via the BBC iPlayer on a Sony Bravia KD55XE9005 on a 200Mbs connection. Picture is sharp but colours washed out. Sound often cuts out. Buffering every few minutes. Unreliable at the moment, so always switch back to HD.
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@walks14 wrote:
I've tried a few world cup matches in UHD via the BBC iPlayer on a Sony Bravia KD55XE9005 on a 200Mbs connection. Picture is sharp but colours washed out. Sound often cuts out. Buffering every few minutes. Unreliable at the moment, so always switch back to HD.

XE9005? How? Where you using an external player as the iPlayer on the TV in UHD is not available on my XE9005?

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

You beat me to it stormyuk!

@walks14 how have you managed to get access? This TV (my TV!) was excluded from the trial.

profile.country.GB.title
Scramz

Sony A1 65 here. 

The trial is excellent save for the Eng vs Tun match as BBC was clearly overly saturated and decreased its bitrate. 

Currently watching Col v Jpn which looks great for the first 2mins then the TV slowly dims until its unwatchable (Sony Oled Issue which is still not fixed). 

BBC Streams, in general, have been excellent and stunning!

EDIT: Watching with a Roku Stick Plus 4k

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

I'll check out some streams on my PS4 Pro when they come up with my XE9005.

profile.country.GB.title
walks14
Explorer

BBC via Virgin Media V6 box. Press red button to access iPlayer, then pick the UHD stream.

profile.country.GB.title
copicke45

Sad isn't it that everyone posting here is relying on external devices to watch 4K. I was hoping for a few reviews from people who had gotten it working through the inbuilt iPlayer in their set!